New Photographer Looking for Advice

Unfortunately you have graduated from one of the worst career paths. Photography world wide has taken such a hit over the past 7-10 years that making a living in it has become next to impossible. It doesn't really matter what area you go into you will find a lot of closed doors. As a full time freelancer for over 35 years I hate the way photography has ended up. Many of my friends in the newspaper business that have been there for decades are now looking for work after being laid off. I wish you luck, but would start looking for a job outside of photography for now and keep at it on the side and hope something comes up.
What about starting a shop, boutique or studio selling photographic equipment, making passport photos or portraits? On quite a few posts I read about people complaining there aren't enough places where they can get the right equipment or advice?

There is a big difference between running a camera store and being a photographer. In my home town there used to be 5-6 really good camera stores, they either sold out to chain stores or went out of business. Big box store sell lower, grocery stores have labs that do $5 passport pictures. We now have a few stores that the pro market can deal with, they offer advice on some things, but basically are just sales people with limited photographic experience.

Unfortunately you have graduated from one of the worst career paths. Photography world wide has taken such a hit over the past 7-10 years that making a living in it has become next to impossible. It doesn't really matter what area you go into you will find a lot of closed doors. As a full time freelancer for over 35 years I hate the way photography has ended up. Many of my friends in the newspaper business that have been there for decades are now looking for work after being laid off. I wish you luck, but would start looking for a job outside of photography for now and keep at it on the side and hope something comes up.
What about starting a shop, boutique or studio selling photographic equipment, making passport photos or portraits? On quite a few posts I read about people complaining there aren't enough places where they can get the right equipment or advice?

There is a big difference between running a camera store and being a photographer. In my home town there used to be 5-6 really good camera stores, they either sold out to chain stores or went out of business. Big box store sell lower, grocery stores have labs that do $5 passport pictures. We now have a few stores that the pro market can deal with, they offer advice on some things, but basically are just sales people with limited photographic experience.

Yep--totally.

I live in a suburban, well-off area. Lots of cameras around here. The local chains have pretty much gone out of business. The one camera shop I know if (besides online or big box stores) specializes in: selling gear (this is expensive and often seasonal), selling used cameras, passport photos, and speciality or high-end printing (like photos to be inserted on the cover of a Christmas card or a corporate newsletter--stuff you wouldn't trust with Kinkos/FedEx Office). They provide a lot of advice but it's all free--it doesn't come with a price.

I didn't go to school and I have a full time job, but I'm also trying to make a living in photography that currently isn't happening as quickly as I'd like. The most current advice I received is to assist other photographers that have already made the leap to "professional." This way you learn the trade skills that aren't taught in school and you also start to build a network for yourself, which can eventually lead to your own jobs. Use that portfolio you've been building to impress these potential photographers you may assist, because even if you aren't taking the pictures, they'll want to know you're on the same page as them. Lately this has been working for me... Give it a try!

Not sure where you live but something to consider - When in Hawaii last year I went on a photo tour with a photographer who was earning a nice living from taking photography enthusiasts around the island (Oahu). We had a long discussion about his business after he dropped off the others. In short, he told me he did 1-2 tours/day, 5 days week. Each tour accommodated up to 7 people and was usually booked up full well in advance. He was charging $120pp per tour (which is cheap considering comparable tours) and there were options depending on the day for sunrise, sunset or nighttime tours. Private tours also available for a steep price. Minimal overhead. He said it left him plenty of time to shoot on his own for his website and that he had sold some of his work to and through people that he met on his tours. The people on the tours ranged from people with just a coolpix to professionals.

From a consumer perspective, it was great to have someone knowledgeable about all the best spots and the right times to be there. I could never have managed to find some of these places on my own, in the dark. And even if I had, it was a much safer and more fun being in a small group. He provided advice about settings if asked and supplied tripods for those who didn't bring their own. For me, it was a perfect way to spend 1/2 a day on my hobby while on a family vacation. It was nice to get away from the family (eye rolls every time I break out the tripod) and not to feel rushed while they waited for me to get my shot.

Anyway -just an idea. Had I the talent and no responsibilities, I would be investigating this type of start up for myself!

Most reactions

Back