1.8 MB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    772.5 KB · Views: 137
Thank my friend for being my model

I didn't view the large size but "Whatcha I think" ?

google fill flash !

(also the tilt doesn't work!)

My guess is that you are a new photographer - and fairly young.

Falling back on odd angles to try and make pictures interesting really ignores the reality that good photography requires building up both knowledge and skills.
Right now you don't know enough to profit from any criticism and you need to get to a place where you will.
Getting better i.e. being able to take good pictures is not a fluke and it certainly isn't easy.
There are no shortcuts or magic tricks.
There is only learning and practice.
Start by looking at good pictures of cars and people and try to figure out what makes them different from yours.
Learn the vocabulary of photography.
Learn to use the exposure triangle.
Then take some pictures, pick out the best one or two and post them for critique.

The second and third shots say you are using flash, just not using it well. First, in your second shot, we can see the reflection of the flash unit in the car's finish. In the third shot you've placed your model at the very edges of the flash unit's fall off and the model is poorly illuminated.

Those are simply quick observations of a basic technical failing in your photography.

Let's turn this around and ask, what do you think of those shots?

Apparently, you feel they are good enough for critique. I think most of us would see them as merely beginner's snapshots. Nothing great in them to make us remember them by this afternoon.

So, what good things do you see in your shots? What lessons did you learn while taking them?

Well from one total newbee car shooter to another I'll take a swing at it. In the first shot what are you after? Is it supposed to be an artzy shot with the eye drawn to the reflection in the door? The camera is focused is on the wheel so what jumps out at me is the flash reflecting off the wheel and the tree reflection in the wheel arch. I think it would look better if the 5.0 was the focus point as that is the biggest contrast area and to have used no flash.

After 6 months of car shooting I've found that unless there is something special about the car or the situation it's in not very many people enjoy photos of cars except the owners of the car. So I try to go for both and shoot what the car doing what it is designed to do. Using Mustangs for an example...

YtcT9lE.jpg

aMVe03p.jpg

And if you want to get artzy that's cool too...
311t7vk.jpg

o3lB7Tg.jpg

So I'd like to piggy back on a suggestion above on looking at other photographers work to compare it to your own. Not this ^ junk but real automotive photographers and I have some I'd like to share with you.

1. Camden Thrasher- Far and away my favorite, Camden has an amazing eye for capturing more than just cars, but the whole picture of the sport- the intense singularity of purpose of the drivers and teams, the natural beauty of the surroundings, the sense of history where it applies, the speed and motion of it all. Dig into his blog and don't miss his non-auto work, which is just as good.

2. Julien Mahiels - A real pro, with great access to my kinds of events- sports cars and vintage. Beautiful work.

3. Laurent Nivalle - A pervasive sense of style, which maybe infiltrates from his other topics in photography. Excellent post-production.

4. Jeremy Cliff - Commercial photographer with varied tastes, another great body of work.

5. Stefan Marjoram - Very much into old cars, pre-war stuff in particular. Stefan is an interesting character - an animator for Aardman and a sketch artist, who is also a buff on land-speed record cars of the past.

Just my .02 from 6 months of self taught shooting.

Last edited:

The second and third shots say you are using flash, just not using it well. First, in your second shot, we can see the reflection of the flash unit in the car's finish. In the third shot you've placed your model at the very edges of the flash unit's fall off and the model is poorly illuminated.

Those are simply quick observations of a basic technical failing in your photography.

Let's turn this around and ask, what do you think of those shots?

Apparently, you feel they are good enough for critique. I think most of us would see them as merely beginner's snapshots. Nothing great in them to make us remember them by this afternoon.

So, what good things do you see in your shots? What lessons did you learn while taking them?
Honestly the car pictures I see being ammature, I actually like the first one though, I think it captured the side of the car in a very artsy way. However I'm not saying it can't be better. Other than that I agree with you, but I do like my first picture a bit.

Well from one total newbee car shooter to another I'll take a swing at it. In the first shot what are you after? Is it supposed to be an artzy shot with the eye drawn to the reflection in the door? The camera is focused is on the wheel so what jumps out at me is the flash reflecting off the wheel and the tree reflection in the wheel arch. I think it would look better if the 5.0 was the focus point as that is the biggest contrast area and to have used no flash.

After 6 months of car shooting I've found that unless there is something special about the car or the situation it's in not very many people enjoy photos of cars except the owners of the car. So I try to go for both and shoot what the car doing what it is designed to do. Using Mustangs for an example...

YtcT9lE.jpg

aMVe03p.jpg

And if you want to get artzy that's cool too...
311t7vk.jpg

o3lB7Tg.jpg

So I'd like to piggy back on a suggestion above on looking at other photographers work to compare it to your own. Not this ^ junk but real automotive photographers and I have some I'd like to share with you.

1. Camden Thrasher- Far and away my favorite, Camden has an amazing eye for capturing more than just cars, but the whole picture of the sport- the intense singularity of purpose of the drivers and teams, the natural beauty of the surroundings, the sense of history where it applies, the speed and motion of it all. Dig into his blog and don't miss his non-auto work, which is just as good.

2. Julien Mahiels - A real pro, with great access to my kinds of events- sports cars and vintage. Beautiful work.

3. Laurent Nivalle - A pervasive sense of style, which maybe infiltrates from his other topics in photography. Excellent post-production.

4. Jeremy Cliff - Commercial photographer with varied tastes, another great body of work.

5. Stefan Marjoram - Very much into old cars, pre-war stuff in particular. Stefan is an interesting character - an animator for Aardman and a sketch artist, who is also a buff on land-speed record cars of the past.

Just my .02 from 6 months of self taught shooting.
Wow thank you for this reply, I'm looking into these right now! Nice pictures of the stangs by the way!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back