New Picture

gigiphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0557.jpg

cute kid, but the focus seems to be a little soft, and the picture is just.. ok. Not a huge fan of the composition. And the random flag in the background is distracting.

Focus!!!

Do you have a tripod?

Fun shot. The focus does look a bit off. If the camera is in Auto-Area AF (where the camera chooses to place the focus points) this can sometimes cause the focus to be missed.

With people, I find using single point (where YOU choose where to place the focus point) to be much better. Particularly at an aperture of f/4.0 where your DOF is somewhat limited.

I recommend using single-point AF and put the focus point on the closest eye of the subject. If they are equal distance - then choose one. When I'm shooting people I almost always do it that way and obtain accurate focus 100% of the time. That does not include the times the camera or lens mis-focused or I was shooting sloppy (which happens time to time when chasing kids at the park) in which case I missed the eye and maybe got lucky or my DOF was enough to cover it, LOL.

Have to agree with them all ^^^ Even though the kids adorable! I am just not feeling this pic.

Focus is to soft... the entire picture has that *hazy* look to it...
Is his hand "shifting"?... i dont like that you cant see what hes doing. it is just a chopped limb.
The composition is ..eh.
The random item stung across the background (flag?)..very distracting.

You had a good idea for a shot though.. rusty tractors, cute kids...:thumbup:

Maybe try to change it around a little, play with the settings, play with the*pose*, for god sake pick up the *flag* thing in the background LOL

Dont give up :) just Reshoot ^__^

cute kid, but the focus seems to be a little soft, and the picture is just.. ok. Not a huge fan of the composition. And the random flag in the background is distracting.

I don't guess I see the flag in the background.

Seems to be the "flag" some people are referring to is a sheet of roofing tin or something similar.

Seems to be the "flag" some people are referring to is a sheet of roofing tin or something similar.

Yeah has to be. No moving anything in the pic but the kid. This place is an historical site. The kids parents loved the picture bc it captured him and his attitude.

The "flag" is in the grass on the ground. Look at the back of the seat then to the right.

Its soft, his arm is missing, the composition is boring, the lighting is dull, but overall, this is representative of your style.

It just looks like a snapshot, sorry. There is potential though, as the site looks photogenic. I love old, rusty farm equipment. Do a reshoot and focus on FOCUS.

I see from the EXIF data the camera and flash were in an automatic mode and your metering was set to Matrix. The camera selected an ISO of 720, 1/125, and f/4 and the flashwas in auto mode too. Your lens was zoomed to 26mm and the WB was on auto, and you ran the photo through the free software, Picasa 3.0.

Did you know the flash was going to fire?

Do you take all your photos as JPEGs, rather than shooting them as RAW data files?

The boy's expression and position is sweet, save the cut-off arm.

The background is kind of busy and bright. Knowing how to use strobed light (flash), the background could have been rendered darker so the boy was more the center of attention (light advances, dark recedes).

It's to bad you missed the focus on his eyes, but the D90 only has it's single, cross-type focus point right in the middle, so it would have had some difficulty focusing accurately in hard shade.

Last edited:
The pose isn't great and the background distracting, but that's not that big of a deal compared to the fact that it's out of focus. Probably would not have made it off of my flash card.

Like I said before, you need to STOP taking 'shoots' and focus on extreme basics. This is not difficult stuff by any stretch of the imagination.

You keep banging on this idea that MY CLIENTS LOVE ME. Think of all the clients you are losing by not presenting quality images.

Im not going to C&C the photo. Its all been said, I just wanted to say Im glad you came back today and tried again. Not being sarcastic, I know that forums can be harsh and even though its the internet sometimes people get hurt by the words so good on you for keeping at it.

Most reactions

Back