New Portable Blind/Decoy System

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So its a umbrella with a natural looking pattern on it....

*I know its an ad- but its kind of an ontopic one and might generate some half decent discussion and hopefully elkmtngear might stick around and become a proper contributing site member *
Welcome to TPF elkmtngear - I hope we can get to see some of your photos and see you about the place :)

I have to say the description sounds interesting, but I have my reserveations about the design. For starters whilst it is a waterproof cover and your site does show it being used in a 2 unit setup for a rain cover - one would need to have 5 of these in order to replace a regular dome or similar shaped hide. That cuts down on savings and portabilty quite a lot. Further the shape requires that whilst the photographers body is covered they have to rise their head up from the cover in order to shoot (gun or camera) and at the height of the unit I cannot help but think that it looks like rather an uncomfortable position if one ends up shooting for more than a few frames.
This also brings into question its size - whilst it could be poped open very fast such an action would be likley to scare or spook the wildlife far more than if the photographer were to simply pause and shoot (provided they are wearing clothing that helps to break their form up). And as discussed above I feel that the unit has limitations as a fixed position hide.

I am also rather worried about the possible reactions that his kind of cover is going to cause
D-003 Timber Elk
especailly during certain "rutting" seasons!!!

It's an interesting idea and design but I can't help but feel that it just won't work that well or that modifications could be made.

I would have reservations with wind and umbrellas. Never had a good result when mixed together. And as said above, we would like to photograph rather than run for our life.......There are full out camo blinds, and camo chair blinds that are also available. I will not mention any brands. I seem to have better luck with making a set up, and let them get used to it, rather than sneek on anything. try that with a Eagle........my .02.....Mike

From what I understand though deer (and many mammalian animals outside of certain chimp/monkey/ape (I forget which) groups) are colour blind whilst many birds are not. So a bird will spot you far easier than the deer will. So for the deer its breaking up the outline and remaining still - whilst for a bird you either have to fully match the environment (guilly suit) or place something new into the environment long enough for them to accept it (normally a day or two is sufficient for many birds to grow accustomed to change if its not too major).

Most reactions

Back