New Rebel vs. 30D and PC vs Mac ??

MostlyDigital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am buying a DSLR and I have found the 30D to suit what I want, but I just saw the new Rebel released and I was just wondering since the new rebel came out with a bunch of new features, does anyone think that I should just wait awhile to see if something in the 30D class emerges with new features? The only thing that throws me off is the increase in megapixels on the new rebel. I know MPs arent everything but now I'm kinda like "man I wish the 30D was 10MP" Anyone have any input for me?

Also I will be buying a laptop and I want to buy a PC because thats what I have always used. Should I just suck it up and buy a powerbook? All I would be using the computer for is internet and photo editing. Maybe some video editing. I assume its not to hard to adjust to a Mac, and I would be much happier if it was a better platform for photo editing/storage and whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

The 30D just came out this spring...I doubt they will update it until Feb of 2008...but you never know. Canon's new self cleaning sensor may find it's way into a 30D(*)...

Unless you are planning to make very large prints, don't agonize over the Megapixel issue. People are still making great images with their 6MP DSLR cameras.

As for the lapper...I don't know. Mac users love them and swear by them. PC owners save a lot of cash but put up with Windows.

Best advice I know regarding which side of the PC/Mac line to go to is this... what do you know, and what do your friends use? If most people you know use PC, go with PC you'll have more people to ask questions of or complain to when it breaks. If most of your friends use Mac, go with Mac, because they'll just make fun of you when it breaks. Since you're comfortable with PC, you're probably better off sticking with it.

Of course, you could always go with linux. Sure, your friends will think you're weird, but then you can make fun of them when their stuff breaks, or is useless after 3 years, or costs a buttzillion dollars. :)

If you use Linux, yes, your friends will think you odd, and you might have compatibility issues (avoidable if you select your harware in accordance with the OS you'll be using), but it can be a bit of a chore to set up. Undeniably reliable, though. And lots of free software, like The Gimp, which is more or less similar to Photoshop. It's available for PC and Mac, however, also for free.

I'm a mostly-satisfied Linux user (Slackware 9.1 on converted PCs). However, I'd recommend the Mac. As I understand, it's more reliable than PC, and better suited to graphics work.

PC vs Mac
Stick to whatever is familiar and comfortable.

Unless... you don't like the Windows environment you already know... then switch. Several years ago, I was in that boat and switched to Mac by purchasing a used ibook real cheap. Thats all it took... I never looked back and now own a pretty beefy powermac without a bit of regret.

400d has more pixels (not really an issue), and a sensor cleaning system. the 30d has a beefier feel, has 5 fps, and has ISO 3200. it depends on what you need most.

JamesD said:
If you use Linux, yes, your friends will think you odd, and you might have compatibility issues (avoidable if you select your harware in accordance with the OS you'll be using), but it can be a bit of a chore to set up. Undeniably reliable, though. And lots of free software, like The Gimp, which is more or less similar to Photoshop. It's available for PC and Mac, however, also for free.

I'm a mostly-satisfied Linux user (Slackware 9.1 on converted PCs). However, I'd recommend the Mac. As I understand, it's more reliable than PC, and better suited to graphics work.

If you like linux, you'll like Mac.

You certainly don't *need* to go to MAC for photo editing. Photoshop on PC works really good. Just make sure you go for large memory. I type this on a MAC laptop and I also own a PC laptop and a linux server (several actually).

The only reason for going to a MAC is if you want the "manual" control and you're not a geek. If you are happy with shooting with auto or P, stick to PC. People that only shoot in manual and drive stick-shifts should go with Linux.

Mihai

Mihai said:
People that only shoot in manual and drive stick-shifts should go with Linux.
LOL
I identify with that. I've been tempted to bypass my car's computer brain and run the ignition timing and fuel injection off of a home-brew box that's programable via a laptop. It wouldn't net me much right now with my current engine mods, but I'm still tempted.

What kind of car do you have?

The aftermarket has programmable ECU replacements for most cars.

In many other new cars the ECU is reprogrammable from the factory and the controllers are fairly cheap. The factory, in most cases, leave a lot of HP on the bench.

LWW

The new Mac's run windows if you load it. Why anyone would want to is beyond me.

Mihai said:
The only reason for going to a MAC is if you want the "manual" control and you're not a geek. If you are happy with shooting with auto or P, stick to PC. People that only shoot in manual and drive stick-shifts should go with Linux.

Mihai

LMFAO! :biglaugh: What, are you spying on me? I think I've mentioned before that I shoot manual, but how'd you know my Firebird's a stick-shift?

ROFL:lmao:

Mihai said:
Mihai

Don't tell people that in England. Everyone has a manual gearbox (stick shift) car. Microsoft would loose a significant market!

It's elementary my dear James: people that use Linux are control freaks (like me): they don't want the equipment to be "friendly" and make decisions for them. They want the tools to do what they are told to, not be be mind-readers.

Mihai

Most reactions

Back