What's new

New Softbox = Playtime

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
464
Location
New Orleans, LA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my cheapie Amazon 24x36 softbox with grid today and had nothing else to shoot in the house beside the dog and random stuff. Here's what I got out of it.

1. Strobist info: SB600 in gridded softbox camera left, small bounce card camera right.

24x36 Softbox Test by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

2.Strobist info SB600 in gridded softbox camera right.

24x36" Softbox by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

3. Strobist info same as above

24x36" Softbox by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

Not first time shooting with off camera strobes, although still rather new at it, but first time shooting with such a large modifier. Can't wait to break this thing out for a maternity shoot I have coming up.
 
All are really great but #2 really stands out. Well done.
 
I agree. #2 is nice. Makes me want to dig out my softbox. I bought it to use on a family members newborn shots (which I was suckered into doing ) and its sat in the closet since.
 
Double Postttttttt
 
nice.. I need to buy a grid.

Do it!

Good thing with mine, it came with the grid and one diffuser, but get this....all for 37 bucks. I think Buff's grid is 35 bucks alone and I got my softbox and grid for that price lol


I agree. #2 is nice. Makes me want to dig out my softbox. I bought it to use on a family members newborn shots (which I was suckered into doing ) and its sat in the closet since.

Oh man....newborn shots *shutters*, I've done it twice (on same child) and I have a feeling they're going to want me to shoot their newborn twins when that happens haha


Good thing about this box, it's umbrella style, so I'm hoping traveling with it won't be too bad since setup/breakdown is easy as pie.
Crazy thing is, this one came with the grid and only one diffuser, but get this......it was 37 bucks total :O
 
Yeah.. I really dont get people who make a home made modifier.. I mean you can get china made stuff on ebay for darn cheap already.

I can't lie, I have a homemade Beauty dish lol.....BUT, looks legit and not crappy imo.
 
All are really great but #2 really stands out. Well done.

My thoughts exactly.

I've been using softboxes with my AlienBees but UPS just delivered a grid today. Looking forward to trying it out!
 
Consider me jealous, I've been wanting some bees! You have the b800 or 1600?
 
Consider me jealous, I've been wanting some bees! You have the b800 or 1600?

I actually have 2 400's and an 800. I use the 400's a lot. I'm in a small studio in my basement so the 800 is sometimes too powerful for what I do.
 
oh wow, 400's are totally off my radar

I'd mostly use them outdoors and rarely in, so my debate is between teh 1600 and 800. I'd REALLY love the ability to shoot in broad daylight with the 1600, but afraid it'd be way too powerful for indoor use.
 
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "grid"?

Generally speaking, for me, photos of somebody else's pet are about as dull as it gets, but those are really nice. I think I probably would have cropped the first dog pic so that he is more toward the left of the frame and peering out into the deadspace. The second dog pic I think I'd have gone with a portrait orientation. Really like the lighting and DoF selection, though.
 
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "grid"?

Exactly what it sounds like, its a grid of squares that goes over the softbox to reduce light pollution and aim the light better.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom