New Tamron 10-24

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by Timppa, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So Tamron made this new lens:
    10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD

Currently I'm using a Tokina 11-16 and a Tamron 16-300.
    I used Exposure plot to calculate at what mm I take the most pictures and it seems to be either on 11mm (Tokina) or between 16-25 on my Tamron (or 300mm, but thats a different story).
    I'm looking for something that can handle maybe both, and this lens really got my interests.

When I compare the old version versus the Nikon 10-24, the Nikon clearly wins. But what do you guys think of this new version? Do you think its worth it? Will it compete against the Tokina in Quality ?
    Its not a 2.8, but only 2/3 stops difference.
    I also like star photography, and I like the 1mm more, but I'm hoping the Aperture difference is not going to remove to much detail.

Any opinions? Or other (better) options you could recommend ?
    Thank you in advance !

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

When it comes to fast ultra wide angle zooms for crop sensors, there just isn't that many.

You mention star photography, so I'd recommend the Tokina 11-20 2.8. The other option is Sigma's 10-20 f/3.5 EX.

Between the Tamron 10-24 and Nikon 10-24, I'd personally go with Nikon.

The thing is, you already have the 11-16. That's a fantastic lens. You have to ask yourself is those extra millimeters worth it?

3. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wel, its not only about that extra 1mm, its also about the extra 8mm on the otherside. Lik i mentioned, most of my pictures are 11 and between 16 and 25. Having a lens covering all of that would be great.
    And yes, between the old tamron and nikon, i would go for nikon for sure. But now Tamron has made a new one (comming out in March), and I'm hoping for good reviews on it.

4. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

It sounds like the 10-24mm lenses will be what you want then. It's too bad no one makes a fast 10-24, they all seem to be variable apertures.

You could even perhaps get a 12-24 f/4 too. I had the Tokina version and it was quite good.

If you planned on going to full frame, the Nikon 16-35 f/4 would suite you well. That's what I use and I love mine.

5. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit

the 12-24 F/4 Sigma should be really good to. and a FX lens on a DX avoids soft edges.
    nikon 16-35 sounds awesome, but I might be leaning more towards the Tamron 15-30 F/2.8 then if I would go FF
    Many options, hard decisions :)