New To Black and White

Jeatley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I have a few shots in black and white but this is the first that I like. When I took it I kinda new I was going to try to make it black and white. All thoughts welcome! Thanks

BTRGolf-0167.jpg

I was playing a round of golf with some friends and these tracks cross the course! really nice place!

This is the shot my friend wanted to hang on his wall! He is happy! Comments always welcome! As he put it he wanted a long skinny shot of him looking out over the course!

this is a Par 3
BTRGolf-0292.jpg

@1: I wonder where is the focal point in this image i wonder? if the foreground is OOF it affects the quality of the image; it will be overlooked if there is some other powerful object to take our eyes to; i am afraid this lacks that; for instance imagine somebody walking towards you ...focus on him/her.... that definitely would work; experts will give their opinions, i expect; let us wait.

@2 The landscape is fine here; but was he standing there or pasted? i feel a mismatch there...not sure

Regards :D

Well I just posted the second cause I like it.... Not BnW but yes he is really standing there.

1st. I understand about need a subject but I used the tracks as that. A person in my opinion would ruin the shot. I was going for more quiet and peaceful. Please more opinions. NEED TO LEARN MORE!

It is overexposed and out of focus. On my monitor nothing is sharp and all that blown out sky is drawing the eye in that direction. I am going to assume that you are using the rails as a leading line to draw us into the image, but are eye goes to the corner with all that white. It is the way our brain works.

What method did you use to convert this and why not burn in the whole right side of the photo? There isn't a very long tonal range which is important with black and white images.

I guess I will have to try again at the black and white. I just dont ever see myself doing a lot? I wonder why?

Black and white is work, and it begins with learning to "see" in grayscale".

If you don't enjoy it or see your self doing the foot work then that is fine. DO WHat Makes you HAPPY

But I am interested! So I think I will try again! I want to learn this.... Maybe I can surprise myself!

Maybe I can find a better image to start with. What do yall look for in a black and white cause I fell not ever picture looks good in black and white. I could be wrong but I think it takes something special to be black and white.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. This is my celica and I thought it would be a cool pic since my car is primer black right now? Tell me what is good or bad about it! what could be better?

mycelicabnw-0064.jpg

Also one from one of my latest shoots. Like I said above, I do not push black and white alot so I am trying to learn to be atleast good about it. Any and all comments welcome. I like these two Shots
SV2010-0133.jpg

Loving the railway tracks shot, very nice use of B&W.
If you're looking for some inspiration in B&W, Albert Watson has amazing work, both in terms of portraits and some of his most recent work of landscapes. I was at the exhibition in London earlier this month for the launch of his 'Great Journeys' for The Macallan Whisky's Masters of Photography. You should check it out if you can :)

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen. This is my celica and I thought it would be a cool pic since my car is primer black right now? Tell me what is good or bad about it! what could be better?

mycelicabnw-0064.jpg
You could have closed the drivers door and removed the white thing apparently hanging from the rear view mirror.
The car is not in focus. The car looks very dusty.

You could have choosen to place the car, and frame the shot so the road acted as a line leading to the car, rather than away from the car.

You could not have shot at a time other than mid-day.

For car shots, a CPL filter is very helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back