New to DSLR's...some lens advice needed

Sammie_Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased the Nikon D3000 on Saturday. Probably not my first choice but it was what was within my price range. I have a little money left over and I'm going to be purchasing a 2nd lens tomorrow, as I only have the kit lens right now. They said I could "upgrade" my purchase to one of their package deals and I'd receive a 55-200mm Nikkor lens, but it's non-VR...it would also come with an 8 gig memory card (which I already have) and a case (which I already have, although mine is too small to accomodate any more lenses at this point...I'm assuming the package one would be small, too). Instead, for the same price, I could get a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens, plus a remote for remote shutter release and a circular polarizing lens. My question is this - in my situation, which would you do? Also, I noticed that on the Nikon website, they have a 50mm f/1.8 AF lens and a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S lens. The only one I see on the Best Buy website (I have to go to BB, as I have gift cards to use), I only see the first one. Would that one be compatible with my camera?? And what is the difference between the two?? I can't wait until I have some photos to share with you guys, but I'm not there yet. All of my shots so far are basically just me learning the manual settings...nothing exciting. Just pictures of my dog and some houses in my neighborhood at night. lol Thanks in advance!

Well, I got some of my questions answered (on a Golden Retriever forum, of all places) and I now know that I can't use an AF lens with my camera. I need AF-S. I'm wondering what thoughts would be on a 55-200 mm non-VR lens vs. a 35mm lens?? I can only afford one or the other right now. Thanks!

what will you be shooting primarily?

I would MUCH rather have the autofocusing 55-200 non-VR Nikkor with a D3000 than the 50mm 1.8 AF-D, which will not autofocus on a D3000 body. Besides, we've got summer coming up, and in the bright weather months, the 55-200 comes into its own. Its range of focal lengths will be MUCH more fun to experiment with than will a manual focusing 50mm lens on your new D3000. The NEW 50mm f/1.8 GV-series lens has an AF-S motor built into it, and it is a VERY new lens...it has just begun shipping in fact....I have not yet actually laid eyes on one. The new G-series 50mm AF-S model WILL autofocus on your D3000.

I'd still rather have the 55-200 for the summer months than I would a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

I will primarily be taking pictures of my dog. lol He does dock diving and I just couldn't capture those shots with my point and shoot.

I now know that I can't use an AF lens with my camera. I need AF-S.
Oh! You can use an AF lens on your D3000. You just have to manually turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus it.

In fact, the lens and camera will help you do that.

Any AF lens that has a D after the maximum aperture designation, like f/1.8D, sends distance and focus information to the camera, so your D3000 will light the in-focus indicator in the vewfinder when focus has been achieved at the focus point you had selected. The only part of an auto focus system that is missing is a motor to move the focus mechanism for you.

I now know that I can't use an AF lens with my camera. I need AF-S.
Oh! You can use an AF lens on your D3000. You just have to manually turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus it.

In fact, the lens and camera will help you do that.

Any AF lens that has a D after the maximum aperture designation, like f/1.8D, sends distance and focus information to the camera, so your D3000 will light the in-focus indicator in the vewfinder when focus has been achieved at the focus point you had selected. The only part of an auto focus system that is missing is a motor to move the focus mechanism for you.

Would this make me miss out on action shots, though??

Back in the day before auto focus was invented many of us photographers made a pretty nice living by shooting action sports.

Today's cameras aren't really set up for manually focusing though. Back when, we had split focusing screens, brighter and larger viewfinder views, and the focus rings on the lens were geared to offer finer control.

However based on personal experience with a Nikon D60 and 50 mm f/1.8D, there is no doubt you can shoot action shots after you have learned how to manually focus on the fly.

You should also know that you will also get some % of OOF (Out-Of-Focus) action shots even when the using full on auto focus of an AF-S lens. in other words, you're going to have a learning curve with auto focus too.

In your current situation, I'll go with Derrel. You've already got 50mm covered with your kit, so 55-200 would make more sense. And don't get hung up on VR. While it's useful for counter acting blur from camera shake at slower shutter speeds, it won't stop action. Especially on a dog diving off of docks.

Especially for taking pictures of the dog, I'd also recommend the 55-200mm. I don't know how far away you are from the dog when you take the pictures, but I assume the longer reach will be an advantage.

I went with the 55-200mm lens...they had it with VR for only about $20 more (thanks to some couponing lol). I also upgraded my bag to a Lowepro bag with more cushioning and more room for lenses, as I add them. Thanks, everybody!

Most reactions

Back