new to large format

My guess is you're trying the pc connection. That's for firing strobelights n such.

oops. after looking at some more photos of large format lenses, i see that the missing piece just fixes the cable so that it presses the lever. so sticking the cable release in the hole certainly isn't going to work. alright, i will try tons of tape. or probably epoxy putty. thanks!

the issue makes me think of this photograph ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r0muzr5rB...g/Q99yKsZa7Mk/s1600/sallymannuntitled1974.jpg

Last edited:
Cable releases are threaded. You'll need to spin it into the hole.

i'd role my eyes at that, but a few moments ago i was sticking the pin of a cable release into a screw hole at different angles hoping it would cause the shutter to fire. so i suppose nothing is too obvious to state. in my defense, it's just a hole as opposed to a threaded hole.

anyway, the hole is to attach a small metal fitting with a screw. the cable release would then screw into that fitting so that pressing the cable release would press the external shutter lever. that fitting is not there.

Last edited:
yeah. I meant to tape the cable to the lensboard above the known shutter release lever. Usually there is a sort of arm there with a threaded hole that sits just above the lever. It's nothing sophisticated. But a little bit that you screw the cable into so it sits above the release. It's funny that it's not there and doesn't seem to ever have been I'm wondering if the shutter is off some other system camera?

You don't need it to be crazy tight. Just enough so that it doesn't come a little loose every time you do an exposure. Epoxy would probably be overkill.

As for your tripod, no, it shouldn't be too jiggly, but that can kind of a challenge with monorails. I ended up getting a field camera, and preferred it a lot. Your tripod base should be as large as the rail block, and you'll need to make sure the tripod is rated for at least (if not significantly more) than the weight of the camera - and lucky for you, your camera weighs a ton.

Looks like the lens is missing this part to hold the cable release, think it isn't to difficult to improvise and create something to hold the relaease cable.

img.JPG

Last edited:
If the part is missing, it may be possible to locate a replacement with a bit of an online search. You might try posting over at the Large Format Photography forum. You could also try contacting the View Camera Store.

More detailed photos of the lens would be much appreciated.

I'm inclines to agree with Tim Tucker. It's a Linhof branded shutter. It was probably pulled from a Linhof board with a release cable that attaches to the board.

I don't think anything is missing. It's just a weird configuration.

the thing from gk fotografie's post used to be there. i can see the outline of where it used to be attached. i can see it on other pictures of the lens on google image search. either fell off during field use or was removed for use on another lens.

i'll try those two sources for another. thanks, sparky.

I used to load my film holders and developing tanks using a changing bag. You put the stuff in the bag, close it up and put your arms through the sleeves. It provides an inexpensive and light tight environment to handle things that require absolute darkness. You should acquire one. Not expensive.

My favorite large format developing tanks were rectangular plastic affairs with about a dozen slots. You took the top off, loaded the sheets-one per slot-and then replaced the top. At that point you could develop in a lighted room.

the paterson tank is absurdly cheap feeling. long as it works well i suppose.

is a loupe for focusing any different than a loupe for slide film? i can get one for like 10 bucks if not. if i specially need a "focusing loupe," they're like 10x more expensive. i'm also interested in not buying things twice, so if i should just shell out the $100 now i'd appreciate that advice. if i should get "focusing" loupe, any advice on 4x vs 8x? i don't get to try them out first because my local camera store minimally caters to analog. edit: oh, i see Tim Tucket specifically says "focusing." maybe i'll regret not listening, but it'll only be $15 of regret. going with the Peak 5x Round Stand Magnifier for now.(Peak 5x Round Stand Magnifier 1301960 B&H Photo Video)

any reason to buy a dark/focusing cloth for $70 instead of stopping by the fabric store?

thanks!

Last edited:
A simple 4x loupe should suffice. You'll want one made for LF as the rim is a softer material and won't scratch your GG.

You can make your own dark cloth given you (or someone you know) possess sufficient sewing skills.

You can use the cheaper viewing loupes, BUT...

You have to be careful as they are fixed focus and may focus on the back of the glass screen instead of the front. Try them without focussing an image and see if you can resolve the ground glass on the inside. If you can then all's well. Proper focussing loupes are adjustable.

I use an 8x which is about the limit of useful magnification, anything more and you'll have problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back