What's new

New (to me) flash question

rokclmb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 14, 2010
Messages
92
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up an old (1981) canon speedlite 188A. I just got started being interested in photography in December when my wife and I got our T1i. Should I be ok using this flash on my new camera? Is there anything that I should know about setting it? I'm still looking online for an instruction manual for it, so I haven't been able to figure it out too much yet.

Thanks for your help.
 
That flash will sync (aka fire with the shutter of your camera) but that's about it I believe ... You'll have to do all your calculations manually. This flash is going to make you think (and that's not necessarily a bad idea)
 
Thanks for the quick reply. What type of calculations will I need to do? On the flash I can set the ASA (I'm guessing that is the ISO on my camera) and also set it for F2.8 / F5.6 / Manual (whick I'm guessing should match the setting in my camera.
 
correct, you'll have to figure out the distance to the subject. It's a pretty simple formula.

Guide number / Aperture Value = Distance to Subject (this is at iso 100 ... different ISO will give you a different calculation ... )
 
Thanks
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom