New to photography, any tips?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a webdesigner by trade so I have always have to use cameras but I have never actually used a camera properly. I want to learn more about photography but there are no part time courses in my area. I have joined a local photography club but it seems I need a degree just to learn all of the options on my camera! (Canon 30D).

Does anyone have any suggestions on any books etc that may help. I have tried reading my cameras manual but it makes no sense to me.

Thanks,

Chris Davidson

i think everyone including myself has read this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224578992&sr=8-1"]Understaning Exposure[/ame]

You've got a pretty good camera there. Have a look through the links in my signature. They'll give you a good foundation in the basics of photography.

http://images.photoworkshop.com/rebelxtlessons/interface.html

The above link is not for your camera. But it is very similar to your 30D. The lessons will give you a basic idea on the camera system as well as photography in general such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO, flash, lenses ....

It helped me when I 1st got my DSLR late march this year (I did not any clue about my camera and settings at that time, and it helped me a lot. At least got me enough basic knowledge to learn more)

Check out 123Di here

Great Software for Learning

I started out by checking out photography on google. Then I went to the library and checked out pretty much every book that had to do with photography. I take the camera every where I go, and just keep shooting!
Experiment with all the different functions on your camera. And experiment with the editing process. Some of the better pictures that I have taken are because of the editing. The more pictures you take, the better you will be with it.

There are only three things you need to know: aperture, film (ISO) speed and shutter speed. Use them wisely.

There are only three things you need to know: aperture, film (ISO) speed and shutter speed. Use them wisely.
Four things. The fourth is how they all relate to each other to create the exposure triangle.

I learned what the idividuals (aperture, shutter, ISO) did from a couple of sites I found searching. It wasn't until I started reading Understanding Exposure that the relation to each other came together for me.

These are the 2 sites I read and recommend....

Digital Camera Help
Shortcourses

Read and learn about the individual settings along with other photography stuff such as composition and the like, then read Understanding Exposure to tie it all together.

over all best thing i think to do is just go out and play with it and try diffrenet things

Most reactions

Back