New to photography - benefits of editing??

Before you learn anything else, start with levels, curves, and layers. Then just go from there.

Paint Shop Pro is a very good photo editing package. You already have what you need. Think of digital photo editing as the new version of film processing and dig in. All digital images need some processing - sometimes just a little sharpening or contrast adjustment - but they all need a little. Have fun.

I am finding that Paint Shop Pro is a lot easier to work with than photoshop. I figured out how to layer last night. That was pretty neat.

As fmw said, if you have Paint Shop Pro, you have just about all you need. I have Paint shop 9 and it has more than I really need. I am playing with the trial of Paint shop XI and will probably upgrade to that. Either version will do all the curves and levels and layers and masks and what not you hear talked about in the Photoshop places. Many of the Photoshop plugins for special effects will also work, i.e. Power Retouche plugins. Many tutorials on Corels website also for some extra help.

Have fun with it.

Most reactions

Back