New to photography - Some first pics - Rate and Help please :)

Aoi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently doing a photo essay for school. I don't really like how my teacher is making us plan out what we're going to take before actually taking the picture. Well, I didn't really take any pictures that I planned out ...

Anyways I took around 100 photos, and I picked these :

I need some feedback on the photos, and also if you have any idea on what my "topic" or "theme" should be (I haven't decided yet >.<), please suggest it :].

By the way, I am using a SONY DSC-HX1 Camera with adjustable aperture, iso, shutter speed, exposure, etc.

By the way, almost all of these were taken on my two day trip to niagara falls.

DSC00701Small.jpg

DSC00659Small.jpg

DSC00411Small.jpg

DSC00400Small.jpg

DSC00359Small.jpg

DSC00351Small.jpg

DSC00332Small.jpg

DSC00302Small.jpg

DSC00236Small.jpg

DSC00184Small.jpg

DSC00095Small.jpg

DSC00091Small.jpg

DSC00072Small.jpg

DSC00038Small.jpg

They all look like they're snapshots to me. I think its vital to have an idea or theme for your photos instead of just shooting randomly at whatever looks good.

To be honest... for what your project it would have definitely been best to decide on the theme in advance. It allows for you to control your composition in such a way that it shows the theme you have chosen. Now it's too late.

Honestly, you probably won't get much help from people on here anyway, when you start off your thread telling how the teacher wanted you to do something but you blew them off and now you have to turn something in so help.

I disagree I think number 11 would be a great picture for that restaurants advertisements or w/e. But the rest while NOT snapshots, except for a few, lack composition and are underexposed.

I'm currently doing a photo essay for school. I don't really like how my teacher is making us plan out what we're going to take before actually taking the picture. Well, I didn't really take any pictures that I planned out ...

Anyways I took around 100 photos, and I picked these :

I need some feedback on the photos, and also if you have any idea on what my "topic" or "theme" should be (I haven't decided yet >.<), please suggest it :].

By the way, I am using a SONY DSC-HX1 Camera with adjustable aperture, iso, shutter speed, exposure, etc.

By the way, almost all of these were taken on my two day trip to niagara falls.
Topic/theme suggestion.....Tilted Horizons/Niagra Falls.......;)

10 is the best composition and lighting wise, the rest need compo work

I disagree I think number 11 would be a great picture for that restaurants advertisements or w/e. But the rest while NOT snapshots, except for a few, lack composition and are underexposed.
Sorry, no people make #11 pretty much useless for advertising.

That's why 99.8% of all the stock images that get bought for adverting have people in them.

How many popular retaurants do you know that are empty?

Thanks a lot! Now I'm going to think of a theme..and work on my composition, etc. I still have a week left to do my project :).

I think #5 is really cool. I think #6 has potential, but it is underexposed along with most of the other pictures. Work on getting correct exposure.

EDIT: Meant to say #6 could look cool with a better exposure and in B&W.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Now I'm going to think of a theme..and work on my composition, etc. I still have a week left to do my project :).

In other words... do what you were originally directed to do?

FWIW, everyone but #5 is a complete bore (and it isn't even all that interesting).

p!nK

If you can get to the location of #5, try shooting it from up against the wall, standing, kneeling, and if you do not expose yourself to trouble, lay down on the floor. Aim the camera in different directions. Also Bracket your shots with the exposure down a 1 or so from what it was set at.

Good luck with your project!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back