New to photography, where to start?

brettbran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife and I are expecting our first child in March and we both would like to purchase a nice digital camera and learn to take proffessional style pics of child. Neither of us have any photography expeirence other than your typical point and shoot type digital cameras.

I understand that their is alot to learn about every aspect of this hobby but we are willing to learn. I also am an avid outdoorsman and would have a secondary instrest for the camera to take mid to long range photos of wildlife while hunting or fishing.

if you could shed any light on where to start or a good store to visit to explore different cameras it would be greatly appreciated.

Our current camera is a Sony Powershot 6 mp camera. ($140 when we got it)

Honestly, any entry level dSLR will meet and exceed your expectations. Go for what feels best in your hands...

Lens selection is a consideration too, Nikon & Canon are the kings of the hill in that respect.

My advice - get what feels good. If you think photography will become a serious hobby, get what feels good, but limit that to Canon or Nikon, lol.

haha, im in the same boat as you. but a few members on here suggested 2 books to me.
1. understanding the exposure by bryan peterson
2. digital portrait photography by steve sint

i just got them in and started reading understanding exposure and im learning a lot of great info and is really helping me understand how things work and what to do. i found them both on amazon for about $15 each

I would recommend a dslr camera. I started with a Canon Rebel but there lots of other great cameras and brands. I recommend a local camera store somewhere close and going in to talk to them.(Not a chain place)
They can show you the differences between the models and give you an idea of what each can do. Sorry I can't be more specific but not sure where you are located.

There are a LOT of great entry level dslr cameras out there and it would be hard to give you all the info you will need here.

Nikon D5000 with kit lens
SB-600
USED Nikkor 55-100 VR lens off Amazon
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Photography Field Guide by Bryan Peterson

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March and we both would like to purchase a nice digital camera and learn to take proffessional style pics of child. Neither of us have any photography expeirence other than your typical point and shoot type digital cameras.

I understand that their is alot to learn about every aspect of this hobby but we are willing to learn. I also am an avid outdoorsman and would have a secondary instrest for the camera to take mid to long range photos of wildlife while hunting or fishing.

if you could shed any light on where to start or a good store to visit to explore different cameras it would be greatly appreciated.

Our current camera is a Sony Powershot 6 mp camera. ($140 when we got it)
After determining your initial budget, the next thing to do is learn how to use an Internet search engine and discover some of the camera brand web sites. Entry level digital SLR's with a basic kit lens for outdoor use will start at about $500, new.

Lenses that can do outdoor, daytime long range wildlife photos start at about $1000.

Thanks for all the info, we are located in the Kansas City area. Also we are looking to spend no more than $600. I have been looking at the Nikon D3000. what do you think of D3000?

What is the difference between the lenses that come in the kits?

thanks in advance.

Nope, thats the D300s.

Anyways the D3000 is a great camera to get you into photography, if you want to get another couple lenses you could save cash by purchasing a used D40/D60.

But dont be biased towards Nikon, the only camera shop I found in your area is Crick Camera, do a quick google search to find out where your nearest camera shop is, go in and pick up a D3000 next pick up a Canon rebel and compare with whats in your price range.

Good luck.

You may want to consider getting a used D-SLR with a couple of lenses.

Although it's a bit outdated (in regards to megapixels) I sold my D70, with 2 kit lenses and some accessories about 6 months ago on ebay for $500 - all in mint condition and there was nothing wrong with it.

If you decide to go that route just make sure you get it from a very good seller!!! This way you can save some $$$ and still get a D-SLR with maybe even 2 lenses. Remember though that you get what you pay for, so for $500 you will probably soon find your limitations but it's still a great start!

And please dont make the stupid mistake I did, lenses come before the nice body. Dont spend all your cash on the body + kit lens because in a month you will want a new one to suit your needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back