New to photography, would like professional's opinion

rk25123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm growing a passion for photography and I've been thinking to take a course and to buy a good camera, but first I would like an opinion from professional photographers about my pics, starting with this one:
$IMG_1686 copy.jpg
(Bear in mind that they were taken with a Canon 350D, so don't expect technical quality, focus more on the composition)

I like the repetition of the two lions in similar poses, but it feels too loose to me and to heavy on the right side. I think it may work much better to do a tighter crop on the two so the eyes aren't getting lost in the rest of the image.

Thanks for the feedback! I see your point, do you mean something like that?
$IMG_1686 copy copy.jpg

I am thinking about the close up of those peeping eyes and face; as such i feel it is not that powerful (just an unprofessional feeling :D )

I am thinking about the close up of those peeping eyes and face; as such i feel it is not that powerful (just an unprofessional feeling :D )
What do you mean? You would have shot a close up? That, unfortunately, was out of my teleobjective's reach.
Personally I like this photo for how the lion seems to watch you from behind the bush, and how the lion's tail, leg and body position give it a little dynamism.

Last edited:
What settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) did you use for the shot and what lens were you using at the time?
There is no reason that the 350D cannot produce good to excellent results when used correctly and with the right optics.

As for the shot, eh its lacking visually and compositionally. Whilst you've got eye-contact its muddied by the bush which is partly blocking one full eye. Furthermore the surroundings are simply feeling messy. There's no clear leading lines, no clear visual action or link to background or foreground elements. The nearest you've got the the other lioness moving in from the back which does provide a leading line toward your main subject; but it still feels like its not really going anywhere.
You could improve it by having that rear lion leading line taking a stronger role - cropping away the leftside elements and (at the time of shot) having more space to the right of the shot.

I'm somewhat with Frequency. The photo is not composed very well, and while it does have some interest with the lion in the background, the foreground lion doesn't add much. I know you were at the limit of your lens' focal length, but really the shot doesn't carry much weight for me. I would have liked to see a closeup of the lion behind a bush as Frequency mentioned, but my guess is that wasn't possible in this case.

Its still an interesting shot with things you don't see everyday, but its more of a cool snapshot than anything else. Trying to make it what it isn't will only disappoint.

Just to note the OP has changed their name to Banana_Joe and thus their original account rk25123 is now listed as banned (to prevent duel account holding by a single person).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back