New to photography

TLaude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys and girls.

I've had a thing for photography for a few years now, but have just been so busy with work and school and life in general that I haven't been able to get around to this. Now it's time to start and I need some assistance.

First off, my most favorite shots are night time "abstract" shots of like buildings, the sky, and things like that.

I also like to take portrait shots for friends and family.

I need a camera that can make use of my interests well.

I'm not looking to have to take a loan out for the damn thing, but I'm willing to pay a little bit for it.

Please throw me some idea's and I will check into it.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

Hi Tyler,
I'd suggest going to a camera store in your town. Not the Wolf or chain places, but the places that the pros shop.
There, you will normally find trade ins, with really nice price tags, and the pros, while hard on their equipment, normally do routine tuning.
Hope that helps.

Thanks elsaspet.

I can't think of any photography stores here in my town.. so I was just thinking of going to best buy.

I'm just looking for a 'starter' camera that will take good pictures. Once I'm done with school, my budget may allow for me to buy a real nice camera.

Thanks again!

Hey I'm new as well, and I'm actually looking to buy the Canon Digital Rebel XTi(400D). It seems to be a more intermediate camera, but I've seen many "newbies" buy this and they all love it! I've heard many great things about it and it's highly rated from what I've seen. My friend has an XT and it's very good and has withstood some pretty bad drops(which may be luck). She uses the kit lens and it seems pretty good for a kit lens. The kit can be found at B&H. After searching and searching some more, I've found this is the cheapest.

I do not know much about cameras, so please take this with a grain of salt and I hope this helps in some way!

I thought I'd make my first post a somewhat helpful one, instead of the usual "Hey, whats up!" I am, however, making a thread that is about the 400D and what accessories and other misc items I should purchase with the camera kit, or body+lens. Feel free to drop in if the 400D interests you and see the feedback advanced users provide.

Edit: You can find the thread by clicking my profile or searching my name I think. Going to make the thread soon.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was actually the camera I was looking at. I am heading out to the store now. We'll see how things go.. haha.

Thanks.

Don't make a decision in haste! I've made many mistakes this way. As much as you can't wait, you should really take your time and learn as much as you can about what you're involved with. Make sure you get exactly what you need. This is no small investment.

If you have the passion for it, then go for it. :) Just make sure you have all the information you'll need. I think a D40 camera is a good sturdy camera. Though it isn't the latest still it isn't too complicated to work with.

Thanks elsaspet.

I can't think of any photography stores here in my town.. so I was just thinking of going to best buy.

I'm just looking for a 'starter' camera that will take good pictures. Once I'm done with school, my budget may allow for me to buy a real nice camera.

Thanks again!
OMG!!! Do Not get rapped by BB!!! There has to be somewhere better than that by you? No Tiger directs? No Ritz or wolf? no b&h? if not buy over the net! BB Is outrageous!!!

OMG!!! Do Not get rapped by BB!!! There has to be somewhere better than that by you? No Tiger directs? No Ritz or wolf? no b&h? if not buy over the net! BB Is outrageous!!!

Just went to look.. and yea, with the 4 yr warrenty, it would have been just under 900 dollars.

Looks like I'll be buying it online.

Hello,
Good luck with your new Camera. I bought a Pentax k100D Super last month. I am still learning how to use it. I would recomend Ritz Camera they offer small classes to teach you how to use the camera. unless you want to go to a community college for classes, then you could buy it somewhere else. I have found those classes at ritz interesting. at least they give you the basic stuff. Also, i think that going to a store would be a good idea to just go and have a feel of the camera and compare different models. I had 3 in mind when i went to the store. After i got the feeling of it and spoke with the saleperson and did more search on the internet i went back a bought the pentax. Once again i liked the fact that they offer classes.

There are lots of online tutorials about cameras and image processing software, many of them free (take with a grain of salt!) I got a 1 month freebee to a site that I am extraodinalrily pleased with. Purchased the "Premium" member package when my free time ran out.

Also attend Photography classes at my local community college. Very wide range of students and many opportunities to learn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back