New to Photography

Don't hesitate to start posting your photos when your camera arrives!

I got my camera in the mail yesterday and it is beautiful. I can't wait to take my first pictures. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to buy the cf card separatly and so now I am waiting for it to come in. LOL. There are so many bells and whistles that it is a little daunting. But I ordered the DVD guide so I hope it will help. Any suggestions on where I can find a manual? Since it was used it didn't come with one. I also ordered the started kit. With the bag, spare battery and uv filter. Was this a good buy? And how does the uv filter work, when do I use it? Also I read that I should get a tripod. Any suggestions? Also I don't have a flash. What kind should I buy?

I got my camera in the mail yesterday and it is beautiful. I can't wait to take my first pictures. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to buy the cf card separatly and so now I am waiting for it to come in. LOL. There are so many bells and whistles that it is a little daunting. But I ordered the DVD guide so I hope it will help. Any suggestions on where I can find a manual? Since it was used it didn't come with one. I also ordered the started kit. With the bag, spare battery and uv filter. Was this a good buy? And how does the uv filter work, when do I use it? Also I read that I should get a tripod. Any suggestions? Also I don't have a flash. What kind should I buy?

I don't know how much the starter kit cost you, but a bag and a spare battery are definately things you'll want to have. Actually, the spare battery was one of the best early purchases I ever made. There's nothing worse than running out of batteries when you're in the middle of shooting. The UV filter is actually a throwback to the film days where some (or maybe all? I don't remember, maybe some film guys can chime in here) film was sensitive to UV light. The sensor is only minimally (to the point where you won't notice it) sensitive to UV. For a digital camera, it's mainly a way to protect the front element of your lens. As far as filters, I would recommend a circular polarizer. When shooting outside with the sun out, it can darken the sky, and cut out some glare.

I know I already said my spare battery was one of the best purchases I made, but I would say my best purchase was a tripod. Most newer people think it's only good for self portraits and shots that have you in it. In reality, although those are both true, a tripod will allow you to shoot at slow shutter speeds (thereby allowing you to use a large f/stop number). I would recommend finding a ball head, but some people prefer a panhead. It's personal preference.

As far as a flash, you don't need one per se, but if you shoot indoors a lot, and using the widest aperature and highest ISO setting still doesn't get you enough light, an accessory flash might be a good purchase. They have other uses, but those are things you can look into when you get more into photography. I have the 430ex II Speedlite and it works very well. But it might be something you can look into at a later date. I didn't get a flash until I had been shooting for a while.

Click here for a pdf of the Rebel XT manual. Read it, memorize it, it will be your best friend.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

That stinks about the CF card. Live and learn, I guess.

Whether or not the starter kit was a good buy really depends on how much it cost. But you'll definitely need the battery and the bag.

As the last poster said, the UV filter for you is mostly going to protect the glass in your lens. It's a lot cheaper to replace a $15 UV filter than a whole lens. So you'll want to screw that onto the lens and just leave it there until you're shooting out the the window of a car and rock pops up and smashes it. Then go get a new one.

I would suggest you not worry about a flash or tripod for now. Just start shooting and become accustomed to the equipment. Using a flash can be nearly as complicated as using the camera itself. Unless you know your camera well, you'll just be getting into deeper water than is really necessary. Plus, starting out you probably won't really even know when to use a flash and when not to. It's better just to wait until you're familiar enough with everything to make that call confidently.

If after shooting for a couple weeks you decide you want to use a tripod you can pick one up from Adorama for fairly cheap. You won't need anything spectacular. Stay above about $50 and keep an eye on the reviews and you'll be alright. Just remember, don't skimp on the tripod it's the camera's foundation. You wouldn't build your house on a cheap foundation, would you?

Can't wait to see some of your first shots!

Well it's been a long time since I was last on tpf and boy have I been busy. I took all everyone’s advice and have been taking lots of photos and learning my camera. I loaded a few of the most recent. I would love someone to critique them and give me advice. Thanks. Do you think I have any talent or am I just delusional? I would love to become a professional photographer someday, but have no clue how to go about it. I have been searching for a school or classes and none are within driving distance. Should I take online classes and if so which ones? There are so many. I have read about apprenticeships but have no clue how to go about it. I am so frustrated. How do I get the experience and credentials if there is no place to learn?

Thanks so much for all your help and input.

Most reactions

Back