new to photography

elyptical

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi i am new to photography by like 2-3 weeks, i mean i have used cameras but just bought my first dslr which is an olympus evolt e-500, i know its olympus, but it was cheap. I would love to post some pics here to get some advice on what i am or am not doing right or wrong. Being new to the forums i really just wanted to introduce myself first before i posted any pics as to not be rude or anything i guess. Would this be ok?

sure but I think theres a section to introduce yourself.

Perhaps the mods can move this.

Post your pics :)

these are just some things that were around that i was trying some things that i learned about aperature, they are prolly not the greatest, but i am new to this, so whatever advice i can get would be great.

1:
P3090804.jpg

2:
P1011242.jpg

3:
P3090835.jpg

4:
P1011116.jpg

Welcome to the forum...

1. Was this shot through a window? I see some reflection in the lower center of the frame. If so, don't do that.

2. The tilt is making the picture almost dizzying to look at.

3. Missed focus.

4. Check composition and DoF. Try to get everything completely in frame for a more complete shot.

These look better than my first shots so keep at it....

p!nK

1: no it was out on my balcony, so not for sure what that is, didnt even see it till now

2: ok so things like this are better straight on? I dont have a tripd yet so was using the stair railing to take the shot

3: i guess i dont understand this one, how can i make the focus better? To a trained eye i can understand, but it looked good to me when i tried it.

4: what would be a good suggestion for composition and DoF on this same shot? Maybe turning the red bull can to more face the camera?

Thanx for the feedback, i am still working on all these things to make better pictures.

Do you think about why you are taking a picture, and what you want to convey to the viewer, or are these just random test shots?

not really test shots, i guess in a way they are, the only one i really set out to take was the waterfall, the others were things that i was looking at through my camera and i thought it would make a good picture. I guess i need to learn how to portay something out in picture.

Could you talk through each image and tell us why you thought they would make a good picture?

1: no it was out on my balcony, so not for sure what that is, didnt even see it till now

2: ok so things like this are better straight on? I dont have a tripd yet so was using the stair railing to take the shot

3: i guess i dont understand this one, how can i make the focus better? To a trained eye i can understand, but it looked good to me when i tried it.

4: what would be a good suggestion for composition and DoF on this same shot? Maybe turning the red bull can to more face the camera?

Thanx for the feedback, i am still working on all these things to make better pictures.

1. got me on what it is then... an indoor lamp reflected off glass was my first and only guess. You can see some other distortion in the picture as well (look on the trunk of the tree right under the thickest branch).

2. In most cases, yes, level is the way to go. There are times when a dramatic tilt can improve the feeling of a photograph... this however, is not one of those times.

3. Does it still look to be in focus to you?

4. My composition of this shot would have been the empty shot glasses in the foreground. I would have added a bottle of Jager (guessing the shot was a Jager bomb) along side the can of red bull (yes, with the logo properly faced). Changing the DoF in this type of shot would work well, playing off what maybe the drinker of the shot would be feeling afterwards:confused:.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back