New to photography

SmokinAce330

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
Since its been getting nicer out up here at school I figured I would try and take some landscape scenery pictures and landscape with an object as part of the main focus.
I don't have anything special so I would like to make the best of what I have.
Fuji FinePix J38
12.2MegaPixels
3x f=5.7-17.1mm 1:2.9-5.2 <-- What does the underlined part mean? (sorry :blushing:)
ISO range 100-3200
Quality 03M, 2M, 3M, 6M, 11M 3:2, 12M N, 12M F <--Which quality would I want for scenery shots?

Thanks

That means that at the widest setting the aperture max setting is f/2.9 and at the longest (furthest zoomed out) the aperture max stting is f/5.2.

The lower the aperture number, the bigger the hole in the lens for light to get through. The bigger the number, the smaller the hole. So at a longer focal length (higher mm number zoomed out) the amount of light getting through to the image sensor is less (meaning it talkes longer for the light to get through). This explanation can get really complicated and involves an understanding of exposure in general. So sorry if that was confusing, let me know if you need more information.

I personally would use the maximum quality for all situations. So I would would use 12M F (which is 12 megapixel, Fine).

Matfoster that is sorta what I mean, but not really.

myfotoguy perfect explanation.
Thanks for the help

Matfoster that is sorta what I mean, but not really.

myfotoguy perfect explanation.
Thanks for the help
Most of us usually explain aperture that way but the 2.9 is actually a bigger number than the 5.2 because they are really fractions 1/2.9 and 1/5.2 as indicated by the 1: and 1/3 is much bigger than 1/5. ;)

man you guys are a big help thanks. I am hoping to use my new knowledge on some pictures tomorrow. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back