New to photography.

crownroyal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I decided today that I want to make photography a hobby of mine. I really don't know where to start, but I've been looking locally for cameras for sale and came up of a list of a few that are within my budget.

Nikon COOLPIX L120
Nikon P100
Panasonic Lumix
panasonic fz30
Canon D30
Canon SX10-IS
Sony DSC-HX1

Any help would be great, I've read mixed reviews about all of them.

That's a lot to answer, I can tell you that searching, not only on here but google and YouTube as well, can be VERY valuable tools. If you have more specific questions, SHOOT! (PUN INTENDED!!) lol

First off, look for a nice used D-SLR like a Nikon D40, D50, D60, D70, or D80. Those should be in your price range and give you the option to get separate lenses. I sold my old Nikon D80 (body only, no lens) for $275 a month ago, so finding one cheap shouldn't be too tough.

i found a nikon d40 with a nikkor 18-55mm lens for $290. is that too much?

EDIT:

I also found a d60 and d70 with no lenses, both for $300

theres a good amount of canon rebel XTs around too

EDIT:

Also, do most of these cameras record HD video? It's not a big deal, im just curious.

Last edited:
i found a nikon d40 with a nikkor 18-55mm lens for $290. is that too much?

EDIT:

I also found a d60 and d70 with no lenses, both for $300
It depends on the condition of the camera and lens.

Without the condition and a list of exactly what accesories, if any, are included, the prices are essentially meaningless.

One bit of advice i can give you that helped me with my first camera is, don't just rely upon using the internet to source out the camera. If any of the cameras you are looking for are available in stores, go to the store and pick up the camera, feel what it is like in your hands, is it comfortable etc.
Even turn them on and play with them, that's what i did with my Canon 450D and 7D, helped me pick out them :) good luck and enjoy your new hobby

Look at B&Hphoto they have very good prices and great service.

Hello all.. I m new to photography... just got an Olympus Pen2 from Digitalrev... Great online store by the way.....bought my camera as a summer/clearance sale. Can't wait to receive it...
ok . just wanted to share that with yall!!..

=P

I just got a canon rebel xt for 100.00 and found target had the 55-250 lens on sale for 150.00 and a 66in tripod for 16.00 on sale.

Alright.... So, my friend has that nex 3. I'm trading him my mountain bike(which i bought for $300 new in like 2004) and $200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back