New to this site, and photography looking for some C&C :)

Country theme's, everyone loves them. Pretty ugly is the going thing right now, at least in Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia area. I'm doing pictures of a little boy that's turning one tomorrow at an old mill in the area, again, unfitting, but the mom wanted a rustic place.
Well, I can see rustic situations working for a maternity shoot. But like your image above, it isn't.

I wasn't trying to be snappy, i promise ;) it's hard for me to just say YES haha! And no, i have no prior experience =/ if there ever was a noob, it's me.

Since you are charging people, do you have liability insurance? If you are starting a "business" this is the first thing I recommend. Particularly if you are putting people in risky situations, as that image "appears".Btw, welcome to the forums, keep post in and learningM

@Ryan L that makes me feel great! I think i've taken some okay pictures thus far, they surely aren't where i want them to be, though.
@iNick I wasn't trying to be snappy, promise :) it's just hard for me to say Y-E-S sometimes, haha!

No worries, just didn't want you to think i was trying to attack you.

I don't have any liabilty insurance =/ the thought really hadn't occured to me! Loving all this info btw ;) and thanks for the warm welcome i appreciate it!

It's not terribly expensive at all. You are dealing with the public...it's wise to protect yourself from them. :) just. In. Case.

I'll have to check into it. I'm ignorant to running a business, and everything that goes into it.

I have a small business, if you have basic questions. I am not an expert, nor did I go to school for business. I just have some real world experience.Feel free to ask.

Thanks, i really appreciate it! I was just curious, too. When you go into a photoshoot, do you as a photographer pick everything, and bring the props, or whatever to use? or do you allow the client to be more in charge, and feed off of them, the area they choose, and the things they bring with them?

My business is makin' jewelry. Check out my "how its made" thread in the off topic forum.

But, I would want to remain in control, but have them be involved. You never know when their prop trumps yours. Feed off them. Personally, I don't let the customer take charge. You are the expert. You want to carefully guide your customer to what is true to you as the artist. You are catering to their needs, through your filter. Get what I'm saying?

Dealing with clients in these two businesses is similar, just a different product.

Got'cha! I've always been curious about that. I'm so new to this, i don't really think i have a vision, or a 'style', YET! I know it will come with time, i'm trying to rush things to catch up to where my competitors are. I've crammed, and crammed new information for a few months now, i shot in auto, for about a week, then took the plunge, and flew head first into manual mode, and i haven't went back. No crutches for me! In a way i feel like i'm light years ahead of where i should be, but yet still lagging in the stupid stuff that i should all ready know! Making jewelry must be amazing, personally, i know what it feels like to have THE PERFECT ring, i have it on my finger now =D 2 carats of white gold perfection LOL!

Your attitude seems really good and we'd all like to help by giving opinions,

You need to look at two things.

1) frame and crop so that needless things and needless space are eliminated from the picture.
2) in this picture, the processing is incredibly contrasty, missing most middle tones where people's skin texture are. It is not natural, pleasing, romantic. (If this picture doesn't look incredibly contrasty, your monitor is off.) Your left shoulder is bright and their are bright spots on his nose, forehead and cheek. This will print badly.

snagprogram0010ll.jpg

Back to the maternity shoot...rustic places could work for her. Maybe something as small as a flower being smelled with a smile on her face, while sitting amongst the decay? Something to give the impression of 'hope' and 'love'. I dunno, there are hundreds of ideas that people will like or not like.

Anyways, keep shooting!

Wisely chosen rustic places could indeed work. But what image does a pregnant woman sitting next to a barrel of toxic waste convey?

One has to use imagery wisely. Objects become symbols. Symbols have preconcieved notions attached to them. These are used to tell effective stories.

For the image posted...answer a simple question. Why is she there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back