What's new

New to thread, have a question about color popping

happyf33tz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 10, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Location
Murrieta, Ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, my name is Seth Jordan Sanchez and I am a new member here!

I live in Murrieta, California, been shooting for 8 months or so. I own PS CS6 as well as LR 4 but usually stick with only LR for now. My question was how can I make my photos have a strong color stand out? I can get colors to pop in some images, but I just don't seem to be getting the same style I find in some photographers I follow off 500px. To show you an example, here are a few photos that give me the look I am aiming for.

http://pcdn.500px.net/5816144/b121c4ae8ad25599cdfa2c4b8a28bd07ea3ee7eb/4.jpg

http://pcdn.500px.net/17079045/2c0d33dbda0826242b1bcb6ceddbc0dfeabd7a5b/4.jpg

And here is one of my photos

http://pcdn.500px.net/17528625/da8871fbe594c890ca7f5e78946a518a98c3a26e/4.jpg


Is it just me? The colors in their work seems to have a more natural looking color to me, yet they have more pop to them. Could it just be the subjects I am shooting that lack that type of color? I shoot birds rarely since its more of a hobby for me rather then it being a career.

My work is all shot with a 7D with either a canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II or a canon 400mm 2.8 IS

Hopefully you guys can help out with some sort of tip, thank you guys !
 
On either example I don't see any extensive post work. One thing I notice between the two shots you posted, and your own is that the other two have the birds in front of neutral tones, as opposed to having a solid blue background. Hard to make something "pop" when the whole scene is blue.

Other than that you can play with saturation, vibrance and contrast in LR. I don't think you're going to achieve the results you're looking for with the photo you posted though.
 
search on 'local contrast enhancement'

A similar effect is possible with the clarity slider but I like to do it in PS with unsharp mask because of the better control over where it gets done.
 

Attachments

  • $birdll.webp
    $birdll.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 123
Thank you guys for the help. Ya that was the only photo I had on my 500px account to use as a sample, even with a bokeh background that is plain and not colored, the same thing happens to me. I will mess around with it some more though, thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it!
 
No problem. Like Traveler said they have localized adjustments you can make. If you're more comfortable with LR they have brushes you can use for the adjustments mentioned earlier.
 
Last edited:
I have to ask first-what was the color of your bird like to begin with? That blue is pretty intense and it makes me think the bird wasn't particularly colorful to start.
 
It was originally a light brown with a hint of gold on its chest and the hint of blue on its wings. I guess that has to do with the color problem partly (duh). Even with normal subjects I have the issue at times :/ Like the color in other photographs I see that pop look more natural unlike my photos, not sure if there is something I am doing wrong.
 
The blue sky completely overpowers the color of the bird. There's no way to fix that in post really, so maybe work on a background with less negative space or which is less vibrant.
 
Got it thank you for the help everyone. That bird was too high for me to get on his level, it was at a local playground on a fence up high so I couldn't get up on time. I'll be sure to keep an eye on what background I choose before capturing a bird again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom