New toy coming and I already have questions

bean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Well I just bought a Minolta XG-M 35mm SLR. I haven't even got it yet and I already have questions :lol:

The camera comes with a Sigma MiniZoom 39-80mm macro lens. The term 'macro' kind of gets me...can I shoot landscapes and regular every day subjects with this lens? I've looked around but never really found a straight answer. I'll probably go out and buy a couple prime lenses sooner or later but for now I just need to know about this lens.

Does anybody know what sort of flashes would be compatible with this camera? My brother's fiancee has an older (maybe 10 years old) Pentax SLR and she said I could borrow the flash if I wanted; will this be compatible with the Minolta?

Like every new toy I get, first thing I will do is give it a cleaning. What can I use to clean the exterior, and the visible internal parts?

That's all I have until I get the camera...then I'm relying on you all to teach me how to use the thing since I've already been contracted by my mom to shoot at my brother's wedding :twisted:

Thanks in advance ;)

Is the XG-M a newer AF model, or an older, mechanical, manual focus model?

The term macro is being misapplied by the sales team over at Sigma (and all the other lens companies). With a true macro lens you can focus closely and get a 1:1 image ratio. This means if you take a pic of a dime, the dime on the neg would be exactly the same size as a real dime. You will find that is not at all the case with your Sigma lens; they are using the term "macro" because you will be able to zoom in and enlarge the dime (for instance), or maybe it will even have a setting for closer than normal focusing, but you probably won't get anywhere near to 1:1. It's really just a normal zoom lens, but they (and all the other lens brands) like to use the term "macro" because it makes the lens sound better.

You can use a blower brush to clean out internal dust, but don't put pressure on anything! Do not touch the mirror or shutter; it's just too easy to damage them. Watch out for canned air that is too powerful. I've seen people blow their shutter curtain to hell with canned air.

ksmattfish said:
Is the XG-M a newer AF model, or an older, mechanical, manual focus model?

It's a manual focus unit with apeture priority or full manual, with an electronic meter and shutter

That's all I was wondering about the lens, I just didn't want to be stuck with a lens that would only do close-ups ;)

Thanks for taking the time to help Matt, I really appreciate your tips!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back