New toy | New Adapter | Sony | Nikon | Sokon

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, still shooting. Not really lugging around the 810 anymore unless its for a job, so I decided to look into something a little smaller that can still pack a punch.

After some research I stumbled upon the Sony A7Sii. So far it doesn't breathe the same air as the 810, but I'm just using the standard 24-70 f4.

So I decided to pick up an adapter so I can take the ultimate test with the 85 1.4

Heres my Sony with Nikon glass on it, I shall call it my Sokon :)

Key features I like
Internal 4k
Electronic Viewfinder
Smaller dimensions
Wifi Transfers (most cameras have now)
Low light capabilities

What I don't like or not use to
Menu system
Battery Life (Bought 3 extras)
Electronic Viewer, while I like this, its freaky at first haha.

I've only had it for about a week, but I like carrying it around a lot more than my 810. A lot more convenient and easier to just grab.

Follow me on IG for more random photos seanscarmack

Enjoy

Focus stack (terrible quick job, 8 photos)

24995457932_bd77ab7750_b.jpg

Sokonooka:

zv_gPjFiuuNzyTEnT4YvJbdzNBqzWTdBnF4w7WbvXzWNR5Ii75JcECvSDA_pPPRtWeSk5Vgnzw4kAcfkvPWgBe_LjOSpqOdmJ127R-CYDoH8C-tjH1dfGSTD35dr2H_Lu4pIAsHA4ySjHx8_gTH2do44thBNHh3ia3ssm8dF5NbWHkjQylCyFc5mJ_5uSKQUDJckm4EeVs-WGbnjjsWZQ32-FWqL9kWRzeDkxvl-AxN1Lm4Oz4MNlAWvc-bC0xTMiZtpz2PONHyMLoOC7QVDgIZrQvcKpGZLG_KBill92v9kwczpzxycpuJTSx9hA6pUJLh1amvaAhzpfay1XFPIHqLGCLwVI5a7IqKaleRVppQsKpabXdYZLFsedOBcyfqnscV3CVZDtrfohcxGgry_QttERsGVlBHABn-U-loiZRp0UTpSighspY8pVieF3mn_vZncWzo0Ue0x49p-0S7nR6_iG1u_oyO-FFKoCfw7MdDW_S69zQQFBcXo3xwtioSEL5epTgCV7iGIYH2mU7EKgusw2SEK_nXXYQS3CK0_z5AGt7RrVQF665Jz8ltG96N0xqvVPQ=w1476-h831-no

notice how pro my image looks compared to yours. do you even cell phone, bro?

Nice! I keep toying with the idea of getting an adapter for my Nikon lenses to nex7, but I keep reading reviews that say the lens gets stuck to the adapter and then I chicken out! Which adapter did you end up with?

Nice! I keep toying with the idea of getting an adapter for my Nikon lenses to nex7, but I keep reading reviews that say the lens gets stuck to the adapter and then I chicken out! Which adapter did you end up with?
FotoDiox Pro Nik(G) - NEX

It was cheap, and I just wanted to test the 85 on it. If I like it, I'll drop the money on a metabones or something a little nicer.

Follow me on IG for more random photos seanscarmack
IG ?

InstaGram ??
Yep haha, Insta likes :)

What are you using for focus stacking? Considering a rail for it.

Hand held HAHAHA.

Just take multiple exposures at different focal lengths.
Load them into lightroom.
Edit photo to my liking, exposure, colors, etc.
Apply settings to all photos.
Select all photos.
Edit in layers using photoshop.
Auto align all layers.
Use layer masks to keep what I want.
Save back to lightroom.

Sh*t, all I have are primes... Guess I'll have to try it a different way...

Sorry, I didn't mean different lengths of lenses, just different focus points.

For example.

Focus on the lens hood, then the lens barrel, then the camera body.

While trying to keep the camera relatively in the same position so it auto aligns better.

Of course you can just bump up the aperture to probably f8 or 11 and get everything in focus, but I like the effect you get with 1.4 and choosing your focal points.

Ah, I see. I will give that a shot once I get my hands on a good macro lens. TY.

For example.

While trying to keep the camera relatively in the same position so it auto aligns better.

Of course you can just bump up the aperture to probably f8 or 11 and get everything in focus, but I like the effect you get with 1.4 and choosing your focal points.

Thank you for clarifying! I'm just following along, but I got so confused.... "Wouldn't different focal lengths change the background compression? *sigh* See, this is why macro scares me."

But that clears it all up. :)

Hand held HAHAHA.

Just take multiple exposures at different focal lengths.
Load them into lightroom.
Edit photo to my liking, exposure, colors, etc.
Apply settings to all photos.
Select all photos.
Edit in layers using photoshop.
Auto align all layers.
Use layer masks to keep what I want.
Save back to lightroom.

Sounds like alot of hard work!
Try downloading 'Combine ZP' (it's free) it will stack the photos for you automatically & generally does a pretty good job even when I've been sloppy in taking the shots.

Adapting lenses is fun, I've ended up with adapters that let me use most of my old lenses in either standard use, tilt mode, with adjustable extension (adding an extra helicoid so it focuses from infinity to potentially true macro), or a focal reducer (speed booster clone).

PS has a stack images feature that aligns and applies masking automatically...

For example.

Thank you for clarifying! I'm just following along, but I got so confused.... "Wouldn't different focal lengths change the background compression? *sigh* See, this is why macro scares me."

But that clears it all up. :)
I actually didn't even use a macro lens, I simply used a 24-70 2.8 and was zoomed all the way at 70mm and got as close as my lens would focus while keeping everything in the frame.

And you are correct. When you focus on the lens hood, the background compression will be greater than when you are focused on the body, meaning its at least 5 inches closer to the background.

Little update just in case you don't follow me on IG (Instagram:seanscarmack), I am actually returning the A7Sii for the Rii...

I wasn't overly impressed with the photo quality of the Sii and since I do a lot more photos than I do video I can't justify spending that much on a camera that doesn't meet my standards of quality. Of course I am comparing it side by side to the D810, but nonetheless, it costs almost just as much as the 810, so the quality should be pretty close in my opinion.

I hear the Rii is a lot better for photos, just not as good in low light? So I'll give that a try. Worst case, I'll just refund it and wait for Nikon to Release an updated 810 with internal 4k.

What are your guys thoughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back