New tripod AND monopod. Where to start?

Muusers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a new tripod and monopod. Tripod for dusk/night photography and monopod for race car photography. I know I want them, but haven't a clue where to start brandwise. Any brands to steer away from? BTW, I own a D40 but expect to upgrade to either D90 or D7000 around christmas.

I'm looking for a new tripod and monopod. Tripod for dusk/night photography and monopod for race car photography. I know I want them, but haven't a clue where to start brandwise. Any brands to steer away from? BTW, I own a D40 but expect to upgrade to either D90 or D7000 around christmas.

A budget would be nice. You also need to think about what kind of head you want for your tripod. Manfrotto and Sachtler... good brands.

For the monopod...

on a budget: manfrotto 681b is a great piece of kit. A little heavy, but worth every ounce for the sturdiness you get

No Budget, look at gitzo carbon fiber stuff. Simply the best according to most photogs.

For the tripod:

too many to list without you giving me a budget. you can spend anywhere from $25-2500 on one. I reccomend spending at least $200-250 on it. otherwise you will most likely end up with junk.

I'm thinking around 500-600 dollars for both.

I'd go with the manfrotto 681b monopod, and a tilt head if you want it, I personally don't use one on mine.

For the tripod, if you aren't worried about weight, I'd go with a Really Right Stuff Ball Head, They are simply the best money can buy. ($350 for the head)

I would then put The remaining $150-200 you have into a set of Slik Pro 700 dx tripod legs, which are low priced, but very stable...not the lightest though. This gives you a great ball head, and a good set of legs. Down the road you could always upgrade the legs to shave weight off if you feel the need, but it wouldn't be cheap.

I have the monopod and highly reccomend it.

I don't yet have the tripod, but thats the setup I plan to buy when I get one sometime in the near future. I'm currently using a $150 manfrotto head/legs combo that it alright, but not heavy or strong enough to meet my needs anymore

If you are going to spend that much then get carbon fiber tripod legs...

For stability, adjustability, and a good value get one of these (not for hiking):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548526-REG/Manfrotto_190CXPRO4_190CXPRO4_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584477-REG/Manfrotto_055CXPRO4_055CXPRO4_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

The only difference here is that one is 17lbs load and the other is 11lbs load.

I own the above 055CXPRO4 legs and they are so nice in almost every way, except the fact that they are pretty heavy. Rock solid and insane flexibility.

For lightweight legs get these (for hiking):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569063-REG/Gitzo_GT0541_GT_0541_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html

I only listed the 11lb one, because the 17lb one is major $$$.

This is probably the ultimate legs for if you are carrying them around all day. They are way lighter than the Manfrotto ones. I cannot vouch for their stability and adjustability, although I bet its real good.

For a monopod, I own this one and am really happy with it. Its very stable and lightweight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592409-REG/Manfrotto_695CX_695CX_Carbon_Fiber_5_Section.html

Keep in mind that none of these that I listed have heads.

This is the head that I got for my tripod, and its simply outstanding in every way except that again its heavy. It is very expensive for a ballhead, but is worth every penny. If you can afford it, I highly recommend you consider it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368325-REG/Manfrotto_468MGRC2_468MGRC2_Magnesium_Hydrostatic_Ballhead.html

It locks extremely tight with the slightest twist, and will not move at all even under heavy load. This is because of its hydrostatic locking feature. I simply cannot say enough good things about this head, it is so awesome and I wouldnt change a thing about it.

It also has adjustable tension, which makes movement very smooth and safe. What I mean by safe is that you can set the tension so that the lens and camera will not fall forward hitting the legs when you unlock it.

I realize that this stuff combined is over your budget, but you can get a cheaper head and monopod to stay under budget. I would recommend you dont skimp on the legs though, thats what really matters imo.

Hope this helps.

- Neil

What is the heaviest camera/lens combo you will ever use on the tripod and monopod?

I recommend Giottos tripods. As far as monopods, I bought my last one ( a Vanguard) at www.walmart.com for $45 and it's been a stellar performer with a 9 lb camera/lens rig on it.

The heaviest is a hard one, since I don't know yet how far I'm gonna go with tele-lenses. But I guess in a year or two the D7000 or D90 with a hefty tele zoom lens. Don't know exactly how heavy that is, but it'll probably not be light.

The heaviest is a hard one, since I don't know yet how far I'm gonna go with tele-lenses. But I guess in a year or two the D7000 or D90 with a hefty tele zoom lens. Don't know exactly how heavy that is, but it'll probably not be light.
Nikon's 600 mm f/4 prime weighs 11 lbs.

You want a tripod/head that has at least twice the rated weight capacity of your heaviest camera/lens combination, and 3 times is better.

In 2 years the D7000 replacement will be eminent and the D90 only available used. ;)

Most reactions

Back