New User- New to Photography.

maxxoverclocker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Nikon D5000, and these are my first non-point and shoot pictures I've taken. Any techniques I should be using? Critiques?

DSC_0088+copy.jpg

dsc0088copy.jpg

DSC_0088 copy.jpg

Date: 07/01/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/5 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 18 mm ISO 200 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/60 sec Date/Time Wed 01 Jul 2009 06:07:36 PM CDT

DSC_0096+copy.jpg

dsc0096copyl.jpg

DSC_0096 copy.jpg

Date: 07/01/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/5.6 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 48 mm ISO 200 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/60 sec Date/Time Wed 01 Jul 2009 06:14:34 PM CDT

DSC_0135+copy.jpg

dsc0135copy.jpg

DSC_0135 copy.jpg

Date: 06/26/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/3.5 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 18 mm ISO 200 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/2500 sec Date/Time Fri 26 Jun 2009 07:21:23 PM CDT

DSC_0198+copy.jpg

dsc0198copy.jpg

DSC_0198 copy.jpg

Date: 06/26/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/3.5 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 18 mm ISO 200 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/1250 sec Date/Time Fri 26 Jun 2009 07:39:32 PM CDT

DSC_0277+copy.jpg

dsc0277copy.jpg

DSC_0277 copy.jpg

Date: 06/27/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/5.6 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 1.67 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 45 mm ISO 800 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/2000 sec Date/Time Sat 27 Jun 2009 01:34:37 PM CDT

DSC_0723+copy.jpg

dsc0723copy.jpg

DSC_0723 copy.jpg

Date: 06/29/2009

Photo Properties

summary details
Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D5000 Aperture Value f/3.5 Color Space sRGB Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority Flash No Flash Focal Length 100 mm ISO 200 Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/160 sec Date/Time Mon 29 Jun 2009 06:51:04 PM CDT

-Really, comment I won't get my feelings hurt haha.

Gallery

Last edited:
they all suck man -

no im just kidding. not bad man, some i really like. 4 and 13 are very good. its amazing how everyday stupid things when photographed right can look so cool isnt it? you got a good eye. how do you like the 5000?

they all suck man -

no im just kidding. not bad man, some i really like. 4 and 13 are very good. its amazing how everyday stupid things when photographed right can look so cool isnt it? you got a good eye. how do you like the 5000?

haha, I'm liking it. I occasionally get a little jealous when my buddy pulls out his d700, but for someone like me- I'm fine without pro-body haha. Especially since I just started. The LCD is pretty neat and I love that it uses SD cards, using a Class 6 16gb Card that I picked up for 20 bucks.

wow good deal. yeah i use to get pissed back when digital was just getting started the d1x just came out and my uncle got it and all i had was a toshiba m70 or something...man was i jealous

Last edited:
If you are looking for some good constructive critisism, I'd highly suggest posting a select few images, 3-4, that you really want input on. Post up the settings used and what you are looking to improve or had troubles with.

I find that generic posts "what do you think?" don't often get a big response from the community.

Generally speaking, I find that alot of them are underexposed, with a few over exposed. So look into how exposure works and aim to get proper exposure for your pictures.

Some of the pictures aren't that interesting as well, I'm thinking of the closeups mainly. Some are artsy, but not interesting. hehe. If you were just trying things out, to practice, get some DOF in there to see how it works, its all good. But then those aren't images you should expect CC on. :)

The baby is cute, but the eyes are somewhat closed. Were you shooting with him looking into the sun?

If you are looking for some good constructive critisism, I'd highly suggest posting a select few images, 3-4, that you really want input on. Post up the settings used and what you are looking to improve or had troubles with.

I find that generic posts "what do you think?" don't often get a big response from the community.

Generally speaking, I find that alot of them are underexposed, with a few over exposed. So look into how exposure works and aim to get proper exposure for your pictures.

Some of the pictures aren't that interesting as well, I'm thinking of the closeups mainly. Some are artsy, but not interesting. hehe. If you were just trying things out, to practice, get some DOF in there to see how it works, its all good. But then those aren't images you should expect CC on. :)

The baby is cute, but the eyes are somewhat closed. Were you shooting with him looking into the sun?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've taken like 200 pictures every day for the last week thats why I put up so many. They were my favorites. I probably should have narrowed it down more. I'll post my settings up and take down some.

Very true a lot of my images are overexposed but the ones that are underexposed- I really like the look of underexposure? I crush the blacks and tweak the raw files so they look like that. Not quite sure why but I love the way it looks haha. I suppose I could post my originals too.

The baby- haha, the sun was actually overhead and if anything slightly in front, there wasn't too much I could do about that.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've taken like 200 pictures every day for the last week thats why I put up so many. They were my favorites. I probably should have narrowed it down more. I'll post my settings up and take down some.

Very true a lot of my images are overexposed but the ones that are underexposed- I really like the look of underexposure? I crush the blacks and tweak the raw files so they look like that. Not quite sure why but I love the way it looks haha. I suppose I could post my originals too.

The baby- haha, the sun was actually overhead and if anything slightly in front, there wasn't too much I could do about that.

Thanks!

I feel your pain, bro. I'm just getting started myself. I recently picked up a Nikon D40, and I'm putting about 400 A day on it... About 350 of which get deleted.

I've been "playing" a lot. Taking it out at work, playing with shutter speeds, exposure, etc. I find that simply by "toying" with settings, you get some NEAT results sometimes. For Example:
I shot this practicing "The Rule of Thirds". Looking through my Viewfinder...at night.. I couldn't see the sky color very well. it had a LITTLE red hint to it.. but leaving the shutter open for 2 seconds brought out the sky ALOT!
Figment's Photos - redsky

Most reactions

Back