New website for Photography & Photo Printing

And Tirediron,

My main audience is actually other artists and photographers that I want to offer services to. I do work for the general public, but alot of professionals as well - Who should all know the term Giclee.

In addition, I just checked my google search terms that yielded clicks to my site for yesterday, and 4 out of the top 5 included "giclee" in the search. It's a keeper.

Good enough.

Good enough.

I appreciate the input, though. No offense. I just have to keep it because I'm getting good responses with that keyword.

For everyone else, I'm working on revising the home page today, I'll put up another post when it's published so you can look at it and see if I made any improvements.

Thanks for the input, keep them coming if you notice anything else I should revise.

Good enough.

I appreciate the input, though. No offense. I just have to keep it because I'm getting good responses with that keyword.

For everyone else, I'm working on revising the home page today, I'll put up another post when it's published so you can look at it and see if I made any improvements.

Thanks for the input, keep them coming if you notice anything else I should revise.

None taken - it's all about opinion. Best o' luck!

As far as "giclee" is concerned, I agree with you 100%. One, it is not a made up word (it's french).

Okay, point taken. The word is not made-up, however we have attributed to it, an arbitrary meaning.

c.cloudwalker said:
Two, it is not pretentious, just the name of a high quality printing technique.

Maybe, maybe not. Anyone with a $20 inkjet printer can say that they are offering "giclee" prints.

c.cloudwalker said:
And three, it is not confusing to anyone who knows about the different printing techniques out there.

True, but how many of people visiting the website are going to know the term? Customers want prints; they don't care how they're made (generally).

No offense was intended. As a painter I had to learn about the different techniques offered for prints because when you reach a certain level in price, well, you tend to sell more prints than actual paintings. :D Today, all of my prints are Giclee and I don't do them at home.

Giclee is a very specific type of printing technique (not something you can do on your $20 printer) and I knew why the Op didn't want to get rid of the word. The customers he is looking for are the ones wanting Giclee and they know the meaning of the word.

People who just happen on his site and don't know the word will move on and that's it. But his customer base are people who do care how the prints are made and I though it was a good opportunity to make some members aware of this technique.

Hahah, yeah, I'm not the best writer. Math was my strong subject. My father in law is actually an english major, so I will have him look over the text to see what kind of errors he can find and correct for me. I think if I reduce the amount of text on the site as many people have suggested, this will probably be a smaller problem anyway.

Keith, above, had mentioned that the business name is lost in the logo, that's why I was going to have Jessica look at it. I like it. It's colorful and it's still readable, but, if we can punch up the name just a little bit to make it stand out a little more, that would be fine. I'm not going to go changing it. Just make the text a little easier to read - Especially on darker monitors, I can understand that it might blend in a little bit.

As far as discounts are concerned, anyone on this post can have 10% off their first order for the help you've given me - Just mention it when you call or e-mail. Cloudwalker, you can have 15% since you brought it up. :D And, we're also running a contest right now where you can enter a drawing for 20 dollars off a 50 dollar order. It's at the top right of the home page.

Thanks again for the help everyone. If you notice anything else, please keep it coming. I like the constructive criticism, and I feel like I'm going to implement alot of these changes and come out with a much better site.

Try and run your text by more than one person. Even if one of them is a professional editor. People get tired, people have bad days, etc. And it is not always the pro who catch the "bads." Not only that but once you've made the corrections, run the text by them again. You'll be surprised!

Thanks for the discount (special one for me, I feel special :D) I thought you should take advantage of being on a site where some people could be interested in what you sell with some kind of promo.

You're welcome for the help. Don't forget to come back and run the site by us again when you have made the changes.

Cheers.

Try and run your text by more than one person. Even if one of them is a professional editor. People get tired, people have bad days, etc. And it is not always the pro who catch the "bads." Not only that but once you've made the corrections, run the text by them again. You'll be surprised!

Thanks for the discount (special one for me, I feel special :D) I thought you should take advantage of being on a site where some people could be interested in what you sell with some kind of promo.

You're welcome for the help. Don't forget to come back and run the site by us again when you have made the changes.

Cheers.

I'm having a couple of people I know comb through the site right now, and within the next few days, I'll hopefully be correcting any mistakes we can find. I've been working on revising the site according to many of your suggestions. Everything that you all have said has been very helpful, and I appreciate your time and effort.

And, thanks for the advice about the promo too. That's understandable. Part of the reason why I'm on these forums in the first place is because you guys are my potential future clients. So, I want to create a site that appeals to you. If you like it, then my potential future clients will like it too.

The promo is in effect. Anyone who needs anything, simply mention the photo forum and the 10% coupon.

And, in the meantime while I'm working on revising the site, please don't let the "unprofessional" feel of the site discourage you. We're great at giclee printing - we're just not web designers. ;)

Cheers.

I'm having a couple of people I know comb through the site right now, and within the next few days, I'll hopefully be correcting any mistakes we can find. I've been working on revising the site according to many of your suggestions. Everything that you all have said has been very helpful, and I appreciate your time and effort.

And, thanks for the advice about the promo too. That's understandable. Part of the reason why I'm on these forums in the first place is because you guys are my potential future clients. So, I want to create a site that appeals to you. If you like it, then my potential future clients will like it too.

The promo is in effect. Anyone who needs anything, simply mention the photo forum and the 10% coupon.

And, in the meantime while I'm working on revising the site, please don't let the "unprofessional" feel of the site discourage you. We're great at giclee printing - we're just not web designers. ;)

:thumbup:

The website looks like its got a lot of good content, but I am going to agree with everyone else here and say there is too much and it gets distracting. I know you mentioned you did this for Google, but keep in mind that its not Google and their bots buying your services its the people actually landing on your page. Always make your customers your number one priority and design for them not the search engines.

Hey everyone. I'm back. Spent the last few days implementing a couple of changes - mostly to the home page. I have a couple of other projects going on on some other pages as well.

Please let me know whether the new home page is better or worse than before. Instead of making all of the articles scroll down the page and just look overwhelming, I added in some small thumbnails to add some flare to the page, and I only displayed a sentence or two of the article. The viewer can click to read the rest of the article if he/she is interested. This design better? Can I expand on it more?

Please disregard any "grammatical errors" that these articles are "rife" with. I'm still working on editing the content.

Please, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

-John

Most reactions

New Topics

Back