DjBeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bobrinch.dk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I've been looking for a new wide angle for a full frame Nikon. The obvious choice is of course the 14-24mm f/2.8, but it's too expensive for me right now.

So I've been looking at the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 as I don't really need the zoom. But before I go spend my money on something I'd like to hear from you guys if you might've bumped into some cool wide angle I didn't know existed :)

Kind regards
DjBeau

This is not really new, but you can consider the Ais F2.8 20mm or the AF F2.8D 20mm. You can get a good used one for about $550 on ebay. Mechanically, the Ais feels a lot more robust but both lens use the same optics. So image quality is the same.

Only thing is 20mm isn't that wide. I already have Nikon's 24-70mm, so the step all the way down to 14mm is quite attractive for me :)

Have a look at the newish Nikon 16-35 f4 vr. Not used it myself but it gets great reviews all the time. Been a new Nikon lens I'm sure it won't let you down.

Chris.

The two wide lenses I use on my d700 are the nikkor 20mm 1:2.8 ais and the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 sl ais.

Both are older manual focus lenses, which doesn't matter much since focus is not very critical on such a wide lens. Tokina makes a newer af version of the 17mm, but I doubt it's worth the extra $.

Both of these would be considered "budget" alternatives, as the nikon cost less then $300, and the tokina only around $150.

Between them I'd recommend the nikon, as it shoots nice sharp images with good contrast at f2.8, whereas the tokina doesn't match the nikon's IQ until f5.6. I'd take the extra two stops over the extra 3mm of wider focal length.

Personally, 20mm is more than enough. I find that my 20mm is very close to my eye peripheral vision range. Anything wider, I will rather take multiple shots and stitch them into panos.

Actually, that only works for relatively static photos. I guess if you are shooting events, then it is necessary to get a wwwiiiide angle lens.

Last edited:
It has absurd distortion though. If you don't mind extensive correcting in post then that doesn't matter much.

Another point is that I believe it's manual focus only. Some people may not like that, I know I don't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back