New York Taxi Action Pic

andyuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, I'm a DSLR beginner, I have a Sony A200 with two lenses (both sony); a 18mm - 70mm and a 75mm - 300mm.

I'm going to New York in December and i'm beginning to plan, prepare and practice the pictures I want to take whilst i'm there.

One picture i'd love to capture is of a New York taxi with a blurred background , it might be a bit of a cliche but I think it would be a cool picture.

I've found a few examples via a google search but none of them are exactly what i'd like to capture:-

1)
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/images/2008/02/20/nyc_taxi_3.jpg

The back of the taxi is out of focus.

2)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/131762147_fb4d8c3c3e.jpg

I think this one has too much background

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on the best way to capture this?

Welcome to the forum. The technique is called panning. I don't have any specific links, but if you google "panning tutorial" or something similar, you should get tons of info.

If your camera has it, choose "servo mode" for focusing. Also, see if there's a pan mode for your image stabilization.

I like the first one because of the tight composition. I'm not such a fan of the second one though.

Panning...it takes practice. Essentially, have a slower shutter speed and physically follow the moving car with your camera (left to right, right to left) keeping the focus point on the car at all times.

The practice is being able to move at the same speed as the car to keep it in focus.

A few tips:
- a tripod or monopod will help keep you stable, but might be a pain setup on the streets of new york
- turn on the servo mode (auto focus tracking)
- keep moving with the subject even after your shutter has clicked. I find the follow through is very important to ensure that the image is as sharp as possible.
- the car doesnt need to be moving fast to make a nice effect
- keep safe. you might be shooting close to a side walk or something, so make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

Hey AndyUK. I'm at work and your post got me curious. Although it's not the NYC outdoor shot, I tried my attempt with a soda can at the office with the Rebel 300D
It doesn't have any servo mode option but I just put in the TV mode and went from there.

CanaDry004.jpg

Most reactions

Back