Newb Alert (with a photo challenge tease)

Second Glance

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I'm really not a photographer. If anything, I am a writer (screenplays and novels). Meanwhile, I'm an avid user of social media, and I really, really, REALLY like making my own Facebook memes from time to time.

The image in my current avatar here at TPF is a photo I took on my cell phone at a local farm stand about 4 years ago. (The owner of the farm stand is also the owner of the sunglasses.)

As for the photo challenge I mentioned in the title of this thread, I attached to this post an image that my friend Richy took a week ago with his own cell phone. He came to dinner with friends last night, held up his cell phone for the whole table to see, and said to all of us: "GUESS WHAT THIS IS!" None of us had any idea. He finally told us what it is. (WOW! Who woulda' thought?)

Finally I said, "Send me that image! I want to make a meme out of it!" So, I am going to post it on social media with the caption: "Can you guess what this is?" But before I do, I want to run this one past a bunch of photo experts. And no, it is NOT Photoshopped.

Can you guess what this is?
Richs Photo.jpg
Richs Photo.jpg

Light reflecting off a cabinet handle/knob?

Looks a lot like just that. But is it as simple as that?

Oh, and to Second Glance: welcome to TPF! A good first post you've made here.

But is it as simple as that?
What if...

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

What if...

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Said in a Sherlock Holmes manner: "Yes, yes indeed my Dear Waday, I'd been pondering the possibility of a swamp gas-induced phenomenon. Very clever, very clever of you, indeed, to bring up such an intriguing possibility."

Sherlock Holmes - Wikipedia

Last edited:
... But is it as simple as that?

Yes, it is indeed as simple as that! :) Forum Member waday is the winner! :) (I have no idea what you won, but it's yours!)

And to elaborate somewhat, the sunlight was streaming into my friend's kitchen, and he saw the array of sunlight totally radiating out from the knob of his cabinet door. It was dazzling! He had to snap a photo before the sunlight inched any further and the effect was lost.

Oh, and to Second Glance: welcome to TPF! A good first post you've made here.

Thank you, Derrel! :)

What if...

Said in a Sherlock Holmes manner: "Yes, yes indeed my Dear Waday, I'd been pondering the possibility of a swamp gas-induced phenomenon. Very clever, very clever of you, indeed, to bring up such an intriguing possibility."

Sherlock Holmes - Wikipedia

Extra bonus points for such a positive invoking of Doyle's most famous character. :)

(I have no idea what you won, but it's yours!)
I assumed camera gear, of course.

I'll be expecting my Pentax 645Z with an assortment of lenses any day now. Preferably next day delivery, but I'm ok with 3-5 day ground shipping. :p

Hmmm...I would have guessed water cascading from a faucet...any prizes for 3rd place?
Welcome!

(I have no idea what you won, but it's yours!)
I assumed camera gear, of course.

I'll be expecting my Pentax 645Z with an assortment of lenses any day now. Preferably next day delivery, but I'm ok with 3-5 day ground shipping. :p

How delivery via about a caravan of camels? They're in the Western Sahara at the moment. Might be a few months before they make it to your neck of the woods.

Welcome aboard.

I was going to say "a photograph"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back