Newb. designer/ photog Needs Feedback on Pricing

C42D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a graphic designer who does photography for clients. Fairly new to everything. I need to get some professional photographer's advice on how I am pricing everything.

Our main client is a Major global footwear brand. One of the top 5 in the world. Currently we are doing a lot of footwear (think sneaker) photography. Mostly it is taking a shot of a shoe and replacing it in an existing layout. For example a woman is wearing a shoe and we replace that shoe with the one we shoot. Other times we are taking hero shots to be used in various US marketing materials. The end result of our work could be an Ad, OOH layout, online application, or some form of social media.

What I am looking for is feedback on what I should be charging on a per-shot basis. Regarding rights, I have no desire to retain any rights, as I have no use whatsoever for any of these images in the future, and they would never give me the rights anyways.

Any other feedback on how to move forward in the most professional manner possible would be great. We have a fairly decent setup and I employ a person who is pretty good at working the Canon EOS 7D we just got.

thank you in advance for your feedback.

You are already working the gig, but haven't priced it yet?
Pretty good with the camera and a decent setup? Kind of need to know more on the caliber of work you are producing with the camera too.

Its not a gig. Its a client I have had for years.

I have been doing this service for a couple years now and charging what I believe to be below market... Its a client I have had for a very long time. The caliber of work is high. The layouts get a lot of exposure and are used nationally.

Its time to raise the prices and I need advice. thanks.

Its not a gig. Its a client I have had for years.
I'm confused. You also said this in your original post:

I am a graphic designer who does photography for clients. Fairly new to everything.
Which is it? You've been doing this for years with an existing client...OR...you are 'fairly new' to everything?

I have been doing this service for a couple years now and charging what I believe to be below market... Its a client I have had for a very long time. The caliber of work is high. The layouts get a lot of exposure and are used nationally.

Why? And how do you know this? And if so, why are you now attempting to make the change? And if you do raise your rates to 'market' pricing, what makes you think your clients will stick with you?

I'm not suggesting you can't raise prices, but more interested in the motivation behind it. I'm also very curious to know why you feel it's below market pricing.

Its time to raise the prices and I need advice. thanks.
Doesn't feel as though you have a good grasp of market mechanics. Price increases are possible, but what is your client getting from it? Is your work 'worth' an increase? Can you justify to them that the cost increase is warrented, and not just because you 'feel' like they need to be higher.

Lastly, without any images to base a informed opinion on this thread and questions are going to be very difficult to answer. Good luck.

Removed -- Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I am a graphic designer who does photography for clients. Fairly new to everything. I need to get some professional photographer's advice on how I am pricing everything.

Our main client is a Major global footwear brand. One of the top 5 in the world. Currently we are doing a lot of footwear (think sneaker) photography. Mostly it is taking a shot of a shoe and replacing it in an existing layout. For example a woman is wearing a shoe and we replace that shoe with the one we shoot.

We have a fairly decent setup and I employ a person who is pretty good at working the Canon EOS 7D we just got.

You have had this client for years, but are brand new to this... Never worked with photographic arts before, or pricing your work... But are "pricing under market" just by gut instinct?

You are working with a major global footwear brand doing advertising and promotion, but you only employ "a person who is pretty good at working (operating the camera?) the Canon 7D we just got."

So do you have lights? Editing software? Knowledge of composition and advanced photographic techniques? Or are you just kind of free-balling it as you go along?

Those are all things I need to know if you'd like to get a ballpark price.

That was a quick route to banned!

Darn.. the things I miss when I have to work! :grumpy:

:lmao:

Most reactions

Back