newb gets owned. bleh

Southernbelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I go to print out 10x13's for my portfolio. Ummm yeah, they dont print the same lol. I had to crop all of them which Im not happy about.

How can I change my settings to get 8x10s without cropping??

*I am shooting a Nikon D80 with a 18-200mm wide angle lens

You don't.

The sensor is a different dimension than an 8x10, you just need to shoot with the 8x10's 4x3 ratio in mind. Basically, if you plan on printing 4x3 ratio stuff (8x10, 16x20, etc.) then remember to leave room at the edge of the sensors.

8x10's are different ratios than 5x7's, and 4x6's (also standard print sizes) so this is something you just have to learn.

If you absolutely, positively are going to shoot nothing but photos for 8x10's you can get a focusing screen that has lines on it to show you where the crops will be... but to me that is a waste of money.

well consider it a lesson learned then lol. Thank you

The sensor is a different dimension than an 8x10, you just need to shoot with the 8x10's 4x3 ratio in mind. Basically, if you plan on printing 4x3 ratio stuff (8x10, 16x20, etc.) then remember to leave room at the edge of the sensors.

4X3?
An 8X10 is a 4X5 ratio. It comes from the 4X5 film camera.

Yep, U are right, I mistyped.

Yep, U are right, I mistyped.

The aspect ratio problem is much more severe than most persons realize. Film frame ratios and digital sensor ratios rarely, if ever, match available paper ratios. The 4X5 view camera and 8" X 10" paper is the one notable exception.

Even the venerable 2X3 ratio didn't have suitable paper for many years. Small 35mm prints were made on 3.5" X 5" paper. Of course, we now have 4" X 6" paper but anything larger requires cropping. 5" X 7" isn't bad but anything else is a problem.

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!

Most reactions

Back