Newb needs help finding a camera

alice0427

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This post will make it totally obvious that I'm a newb, so I'm not even going to fake it. I need some help finding a new camera. Right now I'm using a heap of carp Fuji FinePix 2.0 megapixel.

I had purchased a nice Canon before the birth of my DS, but in a fit of pregnant rage, I heaved a misaimed pillow across the room, knocking my new camera off the desk onto the floor, shattering it! Doh! My mom had gotten the FinePix for free when purchasing a Dell computer, so she sent it to me. I'm thankful I had it, but I need a new one so I can take some real pictures of DS!!

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Something that will let me take one picture after another without pausing. Because of the slow processing time of my Fuji, I have lots of pictures of DS falling after taking his first steps, turning his head away after making a cute face, and running the other direction. I want to be able to capture the picture the moment I push the button.

-Something that will produce professional-looking results but still be automatic. I don't want to have to change a bunch of settings to capture the image. I want the subject AND background to be clear and crisp.

-Something with the OPTION to change settings. I'm getting involved with a local camera club, so I'll be learning a lot more. I need a camera I can grow into.

-Something durable. I've got butter fingers! It doesn't have to be indestructable, just rugged enough to withstand the occasional drop (hopefully on carpet).

-My budget is about $800 to $1,200. However, if there is another camera that might be less, all the better! I'm willing to spend the money to get a great camera that will fit us for years.

-I plan mostly on using the camera for family photos, more indoor than outdoor, but I do live in a BEAUTIFUL area where I'd like to do some still shots.

I've considered a Canon Digital Rebel XT, but maybe that's a bit too much camera for me. On the other hand, it would definitely grow with me. Does it have a good automatic function that will carry me until I learn more about digital photography, or should I just stick to something else.

TIA for any help you can offer. I truly appreciate it!

Amy M.

Hello...I moved your thread to the advice, reviews forum where you should get more of the responses that you were looking for. :)

Thank you! Guess I should have looked at the thread topics before I posted, duh!

:blushing:

For the recommendation the Rebel or the Nikon D50.

But I would also say you are going to have to invest in some time and learn the whole process. Get some books, magazines, even take a class or two. The camera is not going to take good pictures for you. Also hang out here and take in as much as you can. Good luck.

I second that. I've recently bought a Nikon D50 myself for 599€. It goes from "decides all for you" to "do everything yourself" with several steps in between and can take images quite fast.

Hi, Alice. My first digital was a Fuji FinePix with 1.5 megapixel :D .

As for camera advice, there are a lot of nice cameras out there where you can take great photos on automatic, be able to do some really close stuff, zoom anywhere from 3x to 12x, AND even take short videos. If you get an SLR, you won't be able to do macro or zoom without a specific lens. And no video either. So, I guess what I'm saying is you need to ask yourself what you most want the camera for. Many of the better digitals will also let you do manual settings--you don't need an SLR for that. For example, you could get a Panasonic Lumix that does videos, zooms 12x (with image stabilisation) does macros, has manual setting control and auto with 4 or 5 megapixels for around $450 to $550. OTOH, you could spend $800 or so and get a entry-level SLR with a 3x zoom, some close capability (but not super macro) with auto and manual capability.

Just some things to think about . . .

Oh, and the Panasonic I described, as well as many other intermediate digitals have "burst mode" where you can take 2 or 3 (or maybe more) photos in fast sucession.

My wife has an Olympus C-755 that is a few years old and takes quite nice photos. It has all the bells and whistles of a point and shoot digital camera.

However, as was said on this topic before, it sounds as if you're looking for a digital that is going to cost you hundreds of dollars. I use a Nikon D70s with two Nikon lenses. Total cost: $1300.00. This camera will do everything, as previously posted automatically with very quick recovery time between snaps. Or, it will work as a manual camera where the photographer does all the setting and interpretation.

The first detail you need to iron out is how much you want to spend. That will be the deciding factor of which type of digital camera you ultimately purchase. There is nothing wrong with point and shoot. Just give it the proper amount of research and filter the pros and cons of one brand over another. I took a month and a half to decide between the Canon and the Nikon. Then another 3 weeks of internet shopping to find the best price. I am well satsified with the Nikon I purchased. Especially the lack of "noise" when taking shots that are dimly lit or dark.

I know I am a bit late in this response but, I just joined this forum. :p

Polygon said:
I second that. I've recently bought a Nikon D50 myself for 599€. It goes from "decides all for you" to "do everything yourself" with several steps in between and can take images quite fast.

I got one too... very happy! you will love it

I do, or better would do if the weather would become a little better. No intention to use it in rain :/.

Well, this must be the season for spending money on ourselves as I just bought a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD to boot. I needed the 6x7 format and was getting by with the Mamiya m645 that I have had for some years. Now I have to sell that camera and all the lenses, screens, finders and the like and start over as the systems are not interchangeable. At least, with the RB, I'll get my exercise, weighs 5.5 lbs. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:.:(

All your point and shoot digital cameras have shutter lag, bad! I would recommend either the Nikon D50 or D70. Both Canon and Nikon make good digital SLR's. Find a shop that has them both, pick up and hold them both and buy the one that "floats your boat". Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

Any of the new entry-level DSLRs will serve your needs, except for one: butterfinger syndrome. Drop any one of these modern marvels, have the misfortune of it landing the wrong way, and your camera has become toxic waste. These new cameras are a wonder, but they need to be treated like eggs with glass shells.

Most people moving to DSLRs from Point & Shoot cameras are very disappointed at their first efforts. You have to learn to use DSLRs. They are also not for someone who doesn't plan to become immersed in the process--in spite of what the ads may suggest. Get a DSLR and plan to learn post processing with Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.

If you can avoid dropping or soaking your new Rebel XT, if you can commit the time to learning how it works, and if you can spend the time to learn a photo editor program, you will be able to get spectacular pictures from it. Don't spend the time and effort, and you will be one of those people who posts on camera forums about how their new DSLR is a piece of junk, and "can't take pictures nearly as good as my old SoFuNiCa DL237i".

Merry Christmas.
Bill

FUJIFILM FINEPIX S5600 I got one the day it came out 57x total zoom right out of the boxThis camera packs an almost unimaginable level of capability into its contoured, compact body. Not only does it feature Fujifilm's acclaimed Super CCD HR sensor technology, ensuring the best image quality possible, but you also benefit from manual control and the immense optical reach of a 10x Fujinon zoom lens. What's more, this camera has the crucial 1600 ISO setting, meaning that all forms of blur are much less likely to occur.
title2.gif
product1.jpg
product_small1.gif

product_small2.gif

product_small3.gif

product_small4.gif

title3.gif

Five million pixels is only part of the story. Super CCD technology has long been associated with class-leading performance in top-end digital cameras. Unlike generic image sensors, this system is developed and manufactured entirely in-house, and is performance only available from Fujifilm. First-rate colour reproduction, image sharpness, low noise and excellent tonal response. Never mind the pixels. Feel the picture quality.

examplepic1.jpg
title4.gif

This camera has real optical reach contained within it. There is also one major advancement on the previous models – the lens is fixed in place. This has two advantages:
  • <LI style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px; PADDING-TOP: 5px">There is no delay, waiting for the lens to extend or retract, when the camera is turned on or off. The S5600 Zoom is blisteringly quick off the mark.
  • The new design keeps the lens mechanism permanently housed within the exterior of the camera, rather than allowing the extending moving parts to be exposed to knocks and bumps. This makes the camera a more solid package overall.
*35mm equivalent

examplepic2.jpg
title5.gif

Just as you'd expect from a camera that echoes SLR design, the FinePix S5600 Zoom gives you full creative rein to influence shutter speed, aperture, ISO and focus selection. It is a real reassurance to know that the camera's performance can be directed in the way that you wish it. Then again, you could just take the easy route, and leave it on auto...

examplepic3.jpg
title6.gif

The FinePix S5600 Zoom is designed to increase the likelihood of you getting a shot. Not only is it switched-on and ready in a double-quick 1.1 seconds, but its reaction to you pressing the shutter release is much quicker than previous models – a mere 0.01 seconds. You won't be missing out on much action with the S5600 Zoom.

examplepic4.jpg
title7.gif

Anyone who doesn't think that much of movie modes on digital cameras has not tried this one. The S5600 Zoom offers the top-level 30 fps VGA benchmark, which plays back on television sets with remarkable clarity. Team the S5600 Zoom up with a big xD-Picture Card, and you will realise the full potential of this camera's multifunctionality.

examplepic5.jpg
What this thing doesnt tell you is BUY A 256 MB memmory card you are going to need one this camera has 3 different continuos shooting mode one of the can fill the entire memory card at 2.5 pic per second trust me BUY THIS CAMERA do a little reaserch of your own The camera package plus A 256MB memory comes to about 450$ US

Most reactions

New Topics

Back