Newb question

omega_zulu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I already posted this in the darkroom section, but maybe I'll get a response here quicker.

I'm asking this to settle a debate. I took a picture of my GF, and off in the distance there's a building in the background. I used a fairly large aperture and short exposure to make her look a little sharper, with better detail. I wanted her isolated as the subject. OK - the building in the background is out of focus (intentionally). Is there any way in the development or printing process (short of digital editing) to get that background building in focus?

I say no, as the film is already exposed. It'd be like trying to sharpen someone behind frosted glass - ain't happening no matter what you do they're still behind frosted glass.

I know I could have increased my depth of field with a smaller aperture and slower exposure, but that wasn't the goal. The next frame I actually did that just for fun and it's fine.

No, you can't bring out of a negative what's not there. Someone's been watching too much tv! :eyebrows:

omega_zulu said:
I already posted this in the darkroom section, but maybe I'll get a response here quicker.

I'm asking this to settle a debate. I took a picture of my GF, and off in the distance there's a building in the background. I used a fairly large aperture and short exposure to make her look a little sharper, with better detail. I wanted her isolated as the subject. OK - the building in the background is out of focus (intentionally). Is there any way in the development or printing process (short of digital editing) to get that background building in focus?

I say no, as the film is already exposed. It'd be like trying to sharpen someone behind frosted glass - ain't happening no matter what you do they're still behind frosted glass.

I know I could have increased my depth of field with a smaller aperture and slower exposure, but that wasn't the goal. The next frame I actually did that just for fun and it's fine.

And you're absolutely right! There is nothing one can do to the negative to make the background sharper. One only way of making it so is through scanning the pic/negative and then processing it with the proper software, be that PS or not. I remember there was a thread here about such things, a former member Dew mentioned about it. Was named something like In Focus or Focus Restore, can't quite recall. Do a search on the word Focus and see if you can find it.

Thx. I just wanted to know if it's possible. I don't do processing, actually. If I want it all in focus I'll work with aperture and time, like you're supposed to.

It was mostly to settle the debate. In fact it was entirely to settle the debate. LOL.

Thanks again :)

Walt said:
No, you can't bring out of a negative what's not there. Someone's been watching too much tv! :eyebrows:

Yeah, you'd need one of those fancy Hollywood computers to pull it off. :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back