Newbie camera question

kandidcamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently broke my old GE 10mp point and shoot while on vacation. When I returned from vacation I went to wally world (Walmart) and bought a replacement. First I'll say that I've never had an interest in photography beyond simply snapping pics on vacation and special occasions. So while I was shopping for my replacement camera I figured what the heck, I'll shell out a few extra bucks and get one of those nice super zoom bridge cameras. I ended up getting a Samsung WB100 on sale. At first I was amazed at the difference in image quality compared to my old point and shoot. I take this camera with me everywhere and take hundreds of pictures of everything that I think looks nice. My ghost town of an instagram account is now filled to the brim with photos and i am obsessed with photohraphing everything. Now that I've had this camera for a couple weeks despite the amazing pictures I have snapped with it, I'm starting to notice things about it that I don't like. I've gotten decent at setting the ISO setting for the lighting but other than that there's not much else to manually adjust. The issues I'm having is that 1. it sometimes has some lengthy lag in between shots. 2. sometimes just doesn't want to focus and 3. sometimes seems like the shutter is staying open for to long resulting in blurry photos. For the most part the pics are beautiful but I have run into these issues. My question is, since I still have two weeks to return this camera at wally world no questions asked should I? I paid $139. Would it be worth my time and effort to return the camera and buy a better bridge camera? If so what do you all recommend? If I do go for a different camera I would need something at or under $250. That pretty much leaves me out of the DSLR world with the exception of a used Nikon d40 or d50. Those two are the only DSLR cameras that I've seen in this range and there nearly a third of the megapixels compared to the Samsung WB100. Not that I know if that even matters. Long story short...is the Samsung WB100 a decent camera or can I do better in the same $130-$200 ish price range?

In general you have what you pay for! DSLR have come a long way in the last years and the models keep improving so if you take a camera that is 6 years old, it will not compare with what you can have now! lag time on the shutter button was the reason why I bought my first DSLR.
Keep on shopping, but mostly try the camera in store, you will see and feel the differences. Only once you have tried the different options will you know which one you want to keep as yours!

If you really enjoy photography and see yourself improving in this hobby then there is one way to go-DSLR and no P&S or Bridge camera which really is a P&S with super zoom lens on it.
You will need to invest money in it but if you really like photography then that's the only way to go.

I'm of a different position on this. Photography is not about equipment, it is a state of mind. The equipment used by accepted masters of decades ago, such as Ansel Adams, was far less capable than even the cheapest point-and-shoot of today. No built-in metering, no autofocus, no zoom lenses, no nothing but a box and a lens and a shutter. Forget about what camera is in your hands and concentrate on seeing the photograph, then use whatever you have to capture that vision.

I say enjoy what you have and see where it leads you. Certainly there are more capable cameras available but they aren't going anywhere. When you reach a point that your camera is holding you back then you will be the first to know and that is the time to be looking for better equipment. A used D40 or D50 is not going to give you better photographs simply because it has interchangeable lenses. A brand new Nikon D4 is not going to give you better photographs simply because it cost more. What makes a photograph worthwhile is in you, not the camera.

SCraig - yes, the skill of the photographer matters, but so does the equipment. There is nothing more frustrating than a shot missed because of shutter lag or because a tiny sensor is unable to gather enough light.

kandidcamera - I would avoid bridge cameras and step up from the Samsung WB100 to the interchangeable lens NX100 - it has an APS-C sized sensor, just like a DSLR, and can produce images like these - much better than you would get from an old 6MP Nikon D50 (I know, I still have one :)).

Now that newer Samsung NX cameras are on the market, you can get one of these great cameras for $280 new or $195 used at Amazon with the kit lens. There are only a few left at these prices - if you miss them, however, there are a few open box units available for $199 from Beach Camera and buydig via eBay.

One caveat - this camera has no built-in flash. You can pick up a factory refurbished Samsung flash for a few $ on eBay.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
SCraig - yes, the skill of the photographer matters, but so does the equipment. There is nothing more frustrating than a shot missed because of shutter lag or because a tiny sensor is unable to gather enough light.

Which is why I included the comment:

... When you reach a point that your camera is holding you back then you will be the first to know and that is the time to be looking for better equipment.

At this point the OP is just learning to enjoy photography. Let him do that without having to throw a bunch of money at it or worry about which camera is better than what he already has. Learning to see is as important as what equipment is in hand, and a lot more difficult to learn. When he reaches the point that he needs more advanced equipment he will know it and have a better idea of what *HE* wants as opposed to what *WE* want him to have.

I do, however, agree that the camera is just as important as the person, but we all have to walk before we run.

Most reactions

Back