Newbie checking in

Jeff A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good day Ladies & Gentlemen. I did a search to find a suitable forum to gather some information. Let me explain. I actually recently purchased my 4th Full Frame Camera, a Sony A7M3 (a7 III).

About 26 years ago I bought my 3rd new SLR, a Minolta Maxxum 7xi. I then loaned it to my Son who went off to college. This was in 1994 I think. I don't know if he took it initially or later on. I never saw my camera again until this afternoon. He mailed it to me. I have a Maxxum 7xi with a 50mm f/1.7 lens and a second lens which is a 28-85mm f/3.5 - f/4.5 Macro lens along with a Minolta Maxxum 3500xi flash unit. All of this is in 100% condition.

The first thing I would like to find out is the age of this camera. I bought it new but I have no memory of it. The Serial Number is 11203249. If anyone has a decent resource for this, it would be much appreciated. I have a new battery coming for it tomorrow. It has a roll of film in the camera which I will of course, remove.

I believe this to be a very high end camera in it's day. I have no idea how much this camera sold for back then, anybody? More later but thanks for listening.

Welcome Jeff. Fine cameras you got there. I'm JC from Michigan, USA. I would leave that roll in the camera and finish it, process it.

The 7xi was released in 1991 and came with the af 50 1.7 for $931. It was a real advancement in auto everything using fuzzy logic. It was geared towards the enthusiast that wanted the latest technology. People either loved it or hated it from my research. Lots of auto functions and innovative features which could be annoying to the seasoned photog or embraced by young enthusiast photog. As with all advanced electronics, it works one day, and does not another. It is a high quality camera that is still popular and in use today.

People that use them, love Minolta AF glass. My favorite is the AF35-70 f4, ultra sharp and gorgeous color. It has a big brother, 70-210 which is equally endearing, they refer them as beer cans. The AF-85 1.4 is an amazing portrait lens. The 50 1.7 is stellar. Never used the 28-85. I own the Minolta Maxxum 9 and it is an amazing, feature rich camera. I recently bought it all back from a guy who lost his job, he had it a little over a month. My kit has the 50 1.7, 35-70 f4, 70-210 f4, 85 1.4, 135 2.8, and the 100-300. Kurt Munger is the Minolta Guru... Home - Photo Jottings

Here is an example of what you can expect from the 35-70. Kodak Ultramax 400, processed using the unicolor c41 kit, scanned epson v800, no edit.

Untitled (2) (12)E.jpg

Last edited:
I had the 3xi that i put out a goodly amount of money for at the time. (Approx. 1996) Along with a couple of Quantaray lenses and it shot beautifully.
The camera has the DX code reader and 1/8000 shutter...
As long as it works its a great shooter and can mount all Minolta AF lenses and the Sony A mounts.

Welcome Jeff. Fine cameras you got there. I'm JC from Michigan, USA. I would leave that roll in the camera and finish it, process it.

The 7xi was released in 1991 and came with the af 50 1.7 for $931. It was a real advancement in auto everything using fuzzy logic. It was geared towards the enthusiast that wanted the latest technology. People either loved it or hated it from my research. Lots of auto functions and innovative features which could be annoying to the seasoned photog or embraced by young enthusiast photog. As with all advanced electronics, it works one day, and does not another. It is a high quality camera that is still popular and in use today.

People that use them, love Minolta AF glass. My favorite is the AF35-70 f4, ultra sharp and gorgeous color. It has a big brother, 70-210 which is equally endearing, they refer them as beer cans. The AF-85 1.4 is an amazing portrait lens. The 50 1.7 is stellar. Never used the 28-85. I own the Minolta Maxxum 9 and it is an amazing, feature rich camera. I recently bought it all back from a guy who lost his job, he had it a little over a month. My kit has the 50 1.7, 35-70 f4, 70-210 f4, 85 1.4, 135 2.8, and the 100-300. Kurt Munger is the Minolta Guru... Home - Photo Jottings

Here is an example of what you can expect from the 35-70. Kodak Ultramax 400, processed using the unicolor c41 kit, scanned epson v800, no edit.

View attachment 200612
Thank you for your insights to this beautiful camera. At your suggestion, I have emailed Mr. Munger to get some information but you have provided a great deal. thank you and have a great thanksgiving.

I'm sorry, I can't resist. I feel like a new Dad. OK, an exaggeration!

Attachments

• Old and New.jpg
    Old and New.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 77

Most reactions

Back