What's new

Newbie. Educate me on lenses.

FireRescueFL

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 20, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
2
Location
Central Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm completely new to the photography world and have done a lot of reading trying to catch on to the lingo and such. What I still don't understand completely is what all the different numbers on different lenses mean. I get some of it but let's say for arguments sake I have no clue about anything. Anyone care to educate me?

---Chris
 
I'm completely new to the photography world and have done a lot of reading trying to catch on to the lingo and such. What I still don't understand completely is what all the different numbers on different lenses mean. I get some of it but let's say for arguments sake I have no clue about anything. Anyone care to educate me?

---Chris

NO. :sexywink:



xmm-xmm is the focal length (for instance: 18-105mm) . Essentially, the higher the second number, the greater the zoom. If there is only one value, or a single focal length, it is a Prime lens. Telephoto lenses have longer focal lengths (70-300mm). The aperture is noted on the lens; the widest aperture. For instance, if a lens's aperture is denoted as 3.5-5G, that would mean that the widest aperture at the smallest focal length is 3.5, and the widest aperture at the longest focal length is 5. Aperture is the size of the opening in the lens.
 
Good stuff. All that was really helpful. Thanks guys!

---Chris
 
FireRescueFL said:
Good stuff. All that was really helpful. Thanks guys!

---Chris

No problem! And KmH's post isn't spam, I just poke fun at him when I can. Keiths blog is actually extremely informational, give it a read.
 
Haha, I figured there was an inside joke I wasn't getting! Again, thanks for all the help and the links were excellent. ---Chris
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom