Shafty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to photography, literally only bought a Canon 1300d 3 weeks ago.
Within the first week I decided to jump out of the preset modes and only shoot manual now.

What I'm hoping to get out of this forum is inspiration and ideas,critique of my photos and learning new things.

What are some of the best ways for a new guy to get the best out of this forum?

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to photography, literally only bought a Canon 1300d 3 weeks ago.
Within the first week I decided to jump out of the preset modes and only shoot manual now.

What I'm hoping to get out of this forum is inspiration and ideas,critique of my photos and learning new things.

What are some of the best ways for a new guy to get the best out of this forum?
Welcome!

Stay involved. Read whichever forums and threads that are interesting, comment as you like. Try to visit all of the forums at least once so you know what goes on there. Use posted photographs as your inspiration. Post your own photos for C&C. If you have questions, post a thread in the appropriate forum asking your question.

Welcome to TPF.
There are some great threads and people here to help you on your way.

I hope your reason for shooting manual is that you want more control over the camera than the pre-sets can give and not peer pressure. Don't be pressured into Manual or shooting RAW. Only the idiots in photography will tell you "You can only shoot using (insert stupid thing here)".
If you are shooting manual to learn good for you. It can open up a lot of capability over the stock functions.

Welcome!

Stay involved. Read whichever forums and threads that are interesting, comment as you like. Try to visit all of the forums at least once so you know what goes on there. Use posted photographs as your inspiration. Post your own photos for C&C. If you have questions, post a thread in the appropriate forum asking your question.

I'll be sure to visit all the sections in the forum. It's daunting when you see so many sections and have no clue about any of them

Welcome to TPF.
There are some great threads and people here to help you on your way.

I hope your reason for shooting manual is that you want more control over the camera than the pre-sets can give and not peer pressure. Don't be pressured into Manual or shooting RAW. Only the idiots in photography will tell you "You can only shoot using (insert stupid thing here)".
If you are shooting manual to learn good for you. It can open up a lot of capability over the stock functions.

No peer pressure at all, I just like to learn how things work rather than have a machine decide what is best. Using manual it's given me a greater understanding of how ISO,Shutter speed and Aperture all effect each other in regards to exposure and how you can get different effects .
That is one thing I've never gotten, the purist who are like only shoot manual even focus manual when sometimes its just faster and easier to use Auto settings.

Welcome fellow leprechaun

Welcome! I have always wanted to visit your country so I look forward to your photos you share with us.

Welcome! I have always wanted to visit your country so I look forward to your photos you share with us.
You should come here, its beautiful when the sun is out and even when raining there is a strange beauty to it.
If you click my 500px link in the bottom you will see some shots, I've got a lot more that just need to be edited.

You should come here, its beautiful when the sun is out and even when raining there is a strange beauty to it.
If you click my 500px link in the bottom you will see some shots, I've got a lot more that just need to be edited.

My other half is originally from Sheffield, England and has a brother in Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Visiting Ireland is definitely on my bucket list and a possibility.

Welcome. I have been to Ireland several times for work. Mostly in the Shannon area. Love Bunratty Castle and the village. Of course had to bring back some lace table things for my wife. I had been away from the forum for a while and just came back. Didn't know what I was missing. Getting to busy with work and other hobbies / interests. But photography was always my first real interest.

As for the rest of the forum. Just dabble in each section. Just becasue you have a Canon, don't let that stop you from going in the other brands. You can go in and see what the competition is doing / getting to play with.

Welcome. I have been to Ireland several times for work. Mostly in the Shannon area. Love Bunratty Castle and the village. Of course had to bring back some lace table things for my wife. I had been away from the forum for a while and just came back. Didn't know what I was missing. Getting to busy with work and other hobbies / interests. But photography was always my first real interest.

As for the rest of the forum. Just dabble in each section. Just becasue you have a Canon, don't let that stop you from going in the other brands. You can go in and see what the competition is doing / getting to play with.

The west coast is beautiful, I live in Dublin, which has it own beauty.

Canon is just a brand, like BMW/Audi, if you can use one you can use another.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back