Newbie help on Macro

EECJeff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone

I am hoping you guys can teach me on taking picture for products.

I have following now.

Cannon EOS Rebel XS
Lens: Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM

I am in the cosmetic industry and trying to take close of of swatches and glitters. (below is a sample wheel I have which I am trying to take the color one by one.)
$wheel.JPG

The closest I got with the lens is below.

$zoom.JPG

I am trying to take the picture of glitter without zooming in or Cutting it . If I zoom any close, it would not focus.

Can anyone help let me know if I am using the right equipment or what setting I can get to get a even closer shot?

Thank you very much in a million ^_^.

I would think you'd be able to get a closer shot with that 100mm macro lens. I can take a shot of a 1cm flower that fills the frame with my 100mm.

You have some other issues to deal with as well, though. Your EXIF data shows 1/100 sec., ISO 400 and f/5. That's an extremely shallow DOF for macro work, and I'd think you'd want that whole nail to be in much better focus. f/5 is just too wide open for that kind of macro work. When I shoot tiny flowers or bugs, I often end up after anywhere from f/16 to f/32 to get the DOF I want.

Do you have an off-camera flash you can use? That would really help these out as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back