Newbie here, asking a big favor

LT Blue Colt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife has been doing photography and graphic design for just over 2 years now, and she has a horrible time using CS2 on her Mac laptop with just a mouse or the pad. I've been think about getting her a drawing/art tablet. I was wondering for those who've used them or have friends that have used them, would you recommend them? And if so, which one's would you recommend. I've noticed they vary quite a bit in price. I'm one of those guys always looking for a good product/good price and had my eye on the Medium size Bamboo Fun ( [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Medium-Tablet-Graphics-Software/dp/B000V9RL6G/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt[/ame] ). I'm sorry if there's already been threads on this topic. I should have searched, but if anybody could leave a link, or some advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you!;)

I use a regular wacom tablet for illustrator, but pretty much stick to the mouse for Photoshop. I think the one you're looking at would be fine if she's unsure of how much she'll prefer it over a mouse... Either way you go, you just have to get used to the input method. Once you have a handle, it makes everything so much easier.

And the Pen tool is just a thing of practice with a mouse, if that's her concern.

I have a Wacom tablet, and I've found it's a big help with Photoshop. Highly recommended.

The one I have is the same size as the one you are looking at. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone one size smaller. Less money, more room on the desk. Unless you're a painter who is used to making broad, sweeping motions, you really don't need a big tablet.

I have been using Wacom tablets professionally since the mid-90's. I would definitely recommend them.

If she is a professional graphic designer and not just doing it as a hobby, I would spring for an Intuos. (i like the 6x8 size myself, not too big, not too small) It's got twice the pressure sensitivity of that Bamboo, which is noticeable. If price won't let you get the Intuos or you just don't need something at that leve, then the Bamboo should be a nice compromise. It will feel weird at first to use a pen instead of a mouse, but I actually prefer it now for most things.

The one I have is the same size as the one you are looking at. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone one size smaller. Less money, more room on the desk. Unless you're a painter who is used to making broad, sweeping motions, you really don't need a big tablet.

Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller. My first personal tablet (previously all i'd used was employer provided) was a 4x6 tablet and it was just way too small to get anything done.

Thank you all so much. This has been a real help. I did notice the Intuos really stepped up on quality. At least from what the specs told me, but for $160 more, I just don't think I can manage it right now. Wish I could, but probably not right now. Stupid property taxes.:x Anyway, first time trying something I think I'll try the medium size. Seems logical, I guess, right in the . . . middle.:mrgreen: Anyway, just one last thing. Is "Wacom" the term for what I'm referring too? Wacom tablet? Or is that a brand name? Because I think the Bamboo Fun is made by Wacom, if that's a company. Just asking because I noticed most everybody said in one way or another, "Get a Wacom." I'm probably just being silly, but again thank you all so much for your help. And I'm probably being greedy, but more is always appreciated. If anyone else wants to post.:D

There may be more than one manufacturer, but Wacom is the big brand everyone knows. I think it has become a generic term of sorts.

I had old wacom as well. That one shipped with a mouse and a pen. I used the pen for drawing. But that was more than 10 years ago. I really like the pressure sensitive tip though.

As Iron Flatline mentioned, Wacom is the brand. The Bamboo is a model of tablet they make, as is the Intuos and Graphire. As far as i'm concerned (and every other graphic designer/artist I have ever worked with) Wacom is the 'only' brand worth buying.

I loved it so much I use the Wacom Graphire exclusively. There is a mouse somewhere on my desk though.
It's eliminated my RSI and given me tennis elbow instead.

Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller. My first personal tablet (previously all i'd used was employer provided) was a 4x6 tablet and it was just way too small to get anything done.

Hand size might be a factor. I am female, with relatively small hands. I just find it easier to maneuver and to draw a smooth curve on a smaller tablet. Of course, you can set it up so the workspace is smaller than the tablet, but that seems kind of a waste.

Try a Cintiq 12WX if you can. Not only is it a pleasure to work with, but the display is probably more suitable for editing than the laptop's LCD is. I use one with my Macbook when I'm doing photo editing.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back