Newbie Here! (Self-Portraits with Nikon D3300)

Wake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I'm new to photography. New as in 'what the heck are all these terms?'

What I want to do is take some nice pictures of myself and put them on Facebook, eHarmony, etc.

Here's what I've got so far:

1) Nikon D3300 DSLR camera
2) Nikon Lens: AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR (fun taking close up pics)
3) Nikon Lens: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
4) Nikon Lens: AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II
5) Neewer Camera Photo/Video 18"Outer 14"Inner 600W 5500K Dimmable Ring Fluorescent Flash Light (Light Only)
6) Polaroid Shutter Release Timer Remote Control For Nikon D3300
7) Oppilas Wireless Shutter Remote Control for Nikon
8) I also bought a backdrop package with umbrella lights but haven't opened it up yet.

So, in a nutshell, how do I take good portraits with this? I'd like to do full-body, shoulders and up, and face shots.

Also I'm missing a part to connect my Nikon camera onto the Neweer Ring Light's flat iron port, and I don't have a stand to put the Ring Light on. Could you guys share with me what I need and how to do this?

I don't see a tripod in your list, so you'll have to prop up your camera on a table or something. Make sure it is not "wiggly", and that the lens is not in a bind.

Aim it at the place where you will pose. Set up some lights. I am not sure if I understand what lights those are, but whatever they are, use them.

Set your shutter to "remote" in the shutter menu. stand over there, and point the remote at the camera. Press the button. Go see how it looks and what all you need to adjust.

Repeat.

Just ordered a tripod that'll work with the D3300, and a mini ball head. I think the lights they call soft boxes. Will try them out a bit.

I'll try this out.

For a Nikon D3300 do you guys have any suggestions for the best lens to take head and shoulder portraits?

Setting things up now.

Just ordered a tripod that'll work with the D3300, and a mini ball head. I think the lights they call soft boxes. Will try them out a bit.

I'll try this out.

For a Nikon D3300 do you guys have any suggestions for the best lens to take head and shoulder portraits?

Setting things up now.
If you've got the physical space in which to spread out, I would probably use the 85mm or the longer zoom.

And if you don't have a large enough room for that, you can go with a wider lens, although it wouldn't be my first choice.

Isn't it simpler to ask a friend or family member to take your portrait ?

Lights on the sides, try different distances depending on their strength. Try different exposures too. Set up your backdrop if you got it. Dont stand too close to the backdrop. I'm new too. Open the aperture way up for detail. Try some lit from one side for dramatic black and white photos with blacked out background. Might be called hi key or low key. For eharmony and dating sites try to show some personality. Emotionless B&W looks cool too. Can have pics of you doing things like interesting work and crafts... anvils, electronics soldering irons maybe some goggles but something you maybe actually do even if very rarely. You can use lights here but natural workshop background. Girls for some reason like to see you with other women, photoshop some in ;^p As a note dudes don't like to see girls with other dudes, I don't think, not even with girl friends cause then I have to determine who you are.

Welcome to TPF! There are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on this site, but they are at their best when you ask specific questions. For example, take a test shot and post it here - even better if you can also post a shot of your setup, and include the camera settings . Then, rather than asking "How can I make this better?" ask something like "I don't like the lighting in this shot because (fill in the blank), how can I improve it?" or "How do I blur the background?" Designer has given you some good starting suggestions, now shoot, share, and ask for that specific feedback.

Most reactions

Back