Newbie-ish Filter Question

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This seems to be a newbie question and, yes, I've searched for threads about filters on the site and done some "Googling" but haven't found a satisfactory response to my particular question. If there's one in existence that you know of, feel free to point me in that direction...

Here's my situation:

I recently did a photo shoot on a bright morning with beautiful blue skies that created highlights and if I stop down enough to cut them I end up with endless DOF. So, I'd like to pick up a filter or two that will enable me to control DOF a bit better when shooting outdoors with a flash.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Control DOF with a filter ?
Your DOF is conrolled by your aperture and distance to the subject.

You need to select the DOF that you want for the photo.
Then use the appropriate ISO for the photo.
Then use an appropriate shutter for the photo. A quicker shutter will lower the exposure.
Then if needed apply the appropriate filter to bring the lighting into alignment for what you want.
That could use a regular ND filter or a CPOL, or Soft or Hard GND

I know the filter doesn't control DOF, silly, but I get why you might think I do. The wording is less than stellar in my first post.

What I ran into was that I lowered my aperture a ton to drop the background's exposure but that increased my DOF more than I wanted. I'm thinking that if I have a filter (I'm assuming ND) then I'll be able to open up my aperture to decrease DOF a bit while still keeping my shutter speeds low enough that I don't get the black bar of death along the bottom of my image. Right?

A ND filter will lower the amount of light by the amount of stops that you want .. see this ==> Neutral density filter - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So with your fixed Shutter (say from 125 to 250), ISO and Aperture you can control the light by the ND filter(s). Then your flash sync speed will be within the parameters .. the ND helping it all get into alignment. You just have to figure out how many stops you need to cut out with the NDs.

yeah I misread that DOF/filter part. lol

Awesome, that answer's my question. Thanks fellas!

I'm thinking that going with a set that allows combinations and quick changes might be best (thinking the rectangular type where the filter slides in and out of the adapter)? I'm not going to be doing much in the way of landscapes (I don't think... :) ) so the 10 stop beasts aren't what I'd be looking for...I guess I'm off to eBay! :)

here's a good quality lower price mount for the square filters ==> FilterDude - Affordable Photography Accessories

do more research .. there's different sizes.

I use the screw on filters and truthfully, as you've mentioned, sometimes it's a PITA.

Thanks so much for all the info! I've added a Lee system with the adapter, filter holder and a 1 stop and 2 stop filter...but it's nearly $400 for that so they were promptly moved to my wish list and I'm looking at picking up a B+W 1 stop and a 2 stop screw on filter for less than half the Lee system to use for the time being...

Yes, Lee is expensive.
I use B+W filters as you can get high quality for various prices.
There's other options for square though such as Cokin filters as my above link has.

I have a bunch of 77mm filters for most of my lenses. But my newer lenses are 82 & 86mm filter thread.
So think about future lenses. I'm going to get some step down adapters for the time being but then I only use a stack of ND filters for sun photography.

The square filters you just use a different adapter, but the same filters. More convenient if you plan on using multiple sized lenses and the same filters.

Thanks again for all the info and insight. I ended up ordering a Cokin system with a polarizer, a 1 stop ND, and a 2 stop ND. Can't wait to get them and try them out!

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back