Newbie, looking for any advice!

tabbymichelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lorephotography.gq.nu
I am in school for photography and though I love to take pictures and experiment with things, I am very far from being a pro just yet. I would love any advice on great quality digitals, 35mm SLRs, medium formats, anything that I can use down the road but will fit a small budget. As of now, I own a 5MP fujifilm digital and my dad just gave me his old praktica mtl3 35mm SLR(I have not yet tried it out, but have seen some photos that my dad took with it.) I am really wondering if what I have is "okay" I have some doubts about the quality my digital puts out. I am really just clueless and ANY advice would really help me out. Please be gentle with me because I am very new at it!! Thanks so much!!!

ps. I am very interested in the way cameras work and love learning. My grandfather has an old medium format from the 40s that I am considering asking him for if I work up the nerve of course. I want to increase my collection!

Doc is on the right track....

As with most students, money is going to be tight and building a system around a digital SLR can be quite expensive. Not only in initial expense but also down the road as things become obsolete. All the that investment in technology will not necessarily translate into a better education. Many would argue that the complexities of the equipment would just be a distraction.

One good thing about all the focus on digital cameras is that it has driven many to sell their old but good film equipment. This has driven the cost of used film camera equipment low enough that students can now afford equipment that was unreachable in previous years. So a good 35mm camera and some great glass would be a good start.... any camera from canon, nikon and pentax can potentially be the best choice for you. I would try a few out and see which fits you. Try not to be influenced by brand loyalty.

Since you already have the Praktica mtl3, I don't see why that camera shouldn't be the camera you learn. Have it cleaned, examined, and meter checked. It uses the famed M42 screw mount which was heavily used by Pentax. Do a search for "M42" or "Takumar" on ebay and behold all the available screw mount glass for next to nothing. If you would prefer a newer bayonet styled camera, you can also start at a very popular camera for students... the pentax K1000. Again... lots of inexpensive glass available. I collect Pentax cameras so I'm biased but there are many choices from Canon and Nikon as well.

As for the other cameras.... I would let your future experiences in your photography courses lead you.

Don't worry so much about the gear, at least brand vs. brand. Learn about lenses, cameras, and flashes in general, and apply it to whatever you are using. You will improve your photography more by spending your money on taking photos (film, memory, processing, prints, travel, etc...) than spending it on new gear.

Also, the more you shoot, the more you'll know what features would be useful for you when it does come time to get some different equipment.

I don't know much about the Praktica, but those M42 mount Pentax Takumar lenses are great. I use them on several Pentax Spotmatic bodies I have with excellent results.

Old, classic, and vintage gear can be a great way to get into medium and large format photography without spending too much. I love using my vintage cameras. Although with the digital revolution in full swing, you can find great deals on used, modern medium format gear too.

Most reactions

Back