Newbie looking for some help suggestions.

RandyG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new to taking photos. I have a Canon 90D and I purchased a Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS USM III. This is mainly for taking picks at arena of my son. I am not allowed to use any flash equipment in the arena.

I have taken some nice shots but they do not appear to be crisp. The other issue is sometimes I am forced to shoot through glass which makes the picks darker. Does anyone know what I can do about the glass or how to make the pics more crisp?

I know I need to learn a lot more about the camera and maybe the solution is some editing software. I'd be really happy to start reading any suggested materials.

Thanks

Randy

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 57
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 54
-

Hockey is a favourite world of mine… since I could walk… or skate.

not allowed to use any flash equipment
That's clear.

nice shots but they do not appear to be crisp
I see a back focus issue… needs AF Fine Tune.

forced to shoot through glass which makes the picks darker.
Make sure Auto ISO is dialled in.

Does anyone know what I can do about the glass or how to make the pics more crisp?
Be sure the glass area is not too damaged and perform an AF Fine Tune.

Have a good time! :cool:

Welcome.

There are some very good sports/indoor sports photographers on here. I'm sure some of them will be along with the apposite advice you seek.

-

There are some very good sports/indoor sports photographers on here.
I'm sure some of them will be along with similar advice you seek.
APPOSITE - definition:

"apt in the circumstances or in relation to something - highly pertinent or appropriate."

No need to thank me.

I agree with NS and that your lens is back focusing ... that faceoff shot shows the boards in focus.

Sports photography is NOT easy.
Just because you see someone doing it, does not mean YOU can do it as well.
A lot of it is knowledge, technique and a LOT of experience.

Some things for you to consider:
- Shooting in DIM lighting is HARD. There may be plenty of light for your eyes, but very little for the camera.
- Raise the ISO high enough to allow you to use a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. If you have to use ISO 12800+, you have to do it. Better to have high ISO noise, than motion blur.
- Shoot when the action is slow/slower so you don't have to use such a HIGH shutter speed and ISO level.
- Determine the evenness of the lighting. Example, my HS football field will vary from 0 in the center to -2 stops in the corner. And shoot where you have plenty of light, so that you can use a faster shutter speed.
- The ice can/will reflect a lot of light and could be confusing your camera's meter into underexposing the image. I think this is the case for your pic #3. The meter may be trying to make the ice a medium grey, rather than white.
- Where I have EVEN lighting (like in a gym), I will often switch to manual exposure, so the camera is NOT changing the exposure on me.
- Learn to pan smoothly, and fire off the shot. Better than a quick snap to the subject and a jerky shot.
- Zooming tighter with the lens shows less image noise than cropping deep into the image. So you need to be close enough, for the lens you are using.
- For ME, when I zoom in tight, it is hard to track a fast moving subject. So, I set my zoom wider, to make it easier to track fast moving subjects.

gud luk

BTW, I shoot high school sports, and shooting sports in low light is a challenge.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back