Newbie Looking to get a camera...

TheDecider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi friends.

I am in the market to get a new camera and I was hoping some of you could offer some suggestions.

I am willing to spend $200-$300 (obviously, the less, the better). I would prefer to buy a used/refurbished camera so long as it will be reliable, on the assumption that I will end up getting a better deal. Also, I would prefer to buy from a New York or Atlanta company/person where I can pick the camera up in person.

I know very very little about photography and cameras. I will probably use awkward terminology. I basically just want a digital camera that takes good photographs of people and scenery without requiring a lot of individual-photo-customization on my part. I don't want to need to constantly change my lens, adjust my camera settings, etc, etc. Point and shoot is what I'm going for here. (I realize this will mean worse quality images, and I just want the "best of the bad" given my situation -- I love looking at wonderful photography, but I will not be taking the time to learn how to shoot good photography right now, so I want something simple).

The primary reason I am interested in purchasing a camera is because I will be doing some traveling the next few months to a few places I probably won't get back to for a long time, and I would like to take some photographs that look good. I want something that takes good photos both during the day when it is bright, as well as during the night when it is dark. I like higher contrast, "sharp" looking photographs where people stand out from the background (don't know how to describe that well). Oh, and my hands always shake a little, so if the camera was good at countering that somehow, that would be nice.

If you could give me a couple recommendations for my price range, that would be fantastic. My cousin is pretty into photography and she recommended some kind of used digital SLR camera, but that might be because she wants me to get into photography (really don't have the time for it right now). Will a digital SLR camera generally take better pictures than a "point-and-shoot" camera if I'm just pointing and shooting? I figured that since all my photos are going to be about the same (1-10 or so people standing 10 or so feet away against some kind of background) that I might be able to get a specific digital SLR with a specific lens that will do pretty good consistently...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Take a look at these:

Digital Cameras from Nikon

Most of these are within your price range and take photos ALMOST as good as an SLR on auto mode. Remember I said almost...

If you want to spend a tiny bit more, I recommend a used Nikon D40 - can't go wrong! However, if you want something small and in your price range, my girlfriend has the Canon SX110 IS, and it takes GREAT pictures, and the zoom is insane. Info:
Amazon.com: Canon Powershot SX110IS 9MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

I am a die hard Nikonian, so you won't find me promoting Canon too often! That camera is a great camera though. You won't find a point-and-shoot in your price range though that'll give you pictures like a DSLR, like the Nikon D40. Good luck!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back