Newbie needs help!

Desertprincess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone-

I own a Canon Rebel T1 dslr and I have the 2 basic kit lenses. I do not know a whole lot about using the DSLR and I've owned it for 8 months now. I have taken some beautiful pictures but I use the trusty automatic. I am currently in a photography class but I just started and have not gotten into the part of HOW TO actually use the camera. MY DILEMMA:

I have a close friend getting married July 10th and she is having a cheap wedding with just a few friends and family in a park. The couple does not have a lot of money so she asked me to photograph her wedding because she knows I have a decent camera and I've taken some nice shots with it.

I have so many questions I don't know where to even start. I really want to do this for her, and I would like to do a good job!

1. What types on lenses are best to use for shooting an outdoor wedding at dusk?

2. What settings should I use?

3. I already know I have to use automatic because I am not good enough yet to focus and everything on my own, but the wedding will be ay 7:30 PM and I'm not sure if I use a flash for every picture or not? I plan to experiment this weekend but any tips would be great.

4. How do I figure out which lenses are compatible with my Canon Rebel? Does it just have to be made by Canon in order to purchase lets say a new wide angle lens or is there a certain off-brand that I can buy something cheaper for a beginner?

5. Any other dusk picture taking tips?

6. Is it possible I have time to prepare for this or am i in over my head? Thanks in advance for any help-

Oh no.....unless you know how to use manual mode, I think you should stick to auto. Rent a flash, Canon 580ex II or even the Canon 430ex II or buy a used 430ex II for around $240 used. Would be a great idea now to invest in the 50mm 1.8, it's about $100 and should does a fair job in low light condition. Other than that, try to learn how to shoot in aperture mode.

First thing I'd look to do is make you make clear you experience so they know what they can expect and don't expect 100% professional results.

Being a dusk a flash would be quite useful; otherwise you will have trouble getting a high enough shutter speed.

Anything with an EF or EF-S (and TS-E and MP-E although not relevant) will mount. A range from Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron will fit, and they will list as "EF Mount" or "Canon Mount" depending on listing.

50 f/1.8 would be a cheap addition and good for some shots. Depending on how close you can get in that will change what lenses are best; an 85 might be a better length but it depends on how close in you can get. Anything fast would be better than the kit lenses, particularly at dusk when its low light.

Pick up "Understanding Exposure" and "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson. Get them from the book store, the library, the internet, just get them. Take these two books, your camera and go out and read and take the time to try the different things that are in the books. Start with "Understanding Exposure." Also, do a search here and a search on google about Portraiture and Wedding Photography. Get the basics of what you need from there. Then come back at any time during this and ask any questions you can't find answers to using the above resources.

Good luck and have fun!

I read recently that some pro photographers do up their ISO a little to avoid blur, maybe you can experiment on that as well and see to if you can go to about 400 and still get acceptable shots,especially if the light is a little low. A little bit of noise in the pictures can usually be sorted easyish but blurred shots will be binned.

Wow ... I'm not sure I'd do it ...cheap wedding or not they want class pictures believe me ....I've done this as a second shooter for people who couldn't afford a pro photograhper ...but never a first .... there is more presure they you realize ... if you have a friend that is into photography ....ask them to come along and shot with you ...they'll like the experience themselfs ....but they also get to help you out !

Pay for a photographer as a wedding present
gsgary- How is one supposed to familiarize themselves with real life photography situations unless someone gives me the opportunity? They are looking at a happy-snap wedding if I do not show up with a better camera and creative ideas/pictures for them. What I'm basically saying is my lack of experience is better than what they will get and I'm not hiring a professional for them, that is costly!

My plan as the wedding gift was the free photography and then I was going to make a picture album. Not to mention I will probably buy a new lens and rent a flash.

She wants me to take the pictures at her wedding, if I said no it would be an insult. I am merely asking for help here so I can try and do my best. :)

I would like to thank everyone for their tips thus far. I am taking everything you have all told me into consideration.

Pay for a photographer as a wedding present
gsgary- How is one supposed to familiarize themselves with real life photography situations unless someone gives me the opportunity? They are looking at a happy-snap wedding if I do not show up with a better camera and creative ideas/pictures for them. What I'm basically saying is my lack of experience is better than what they will get and I'm not hiring a professional for them, that is costly!

My plan as the wedding gift was the free photography and then I was going to make a picture album. Not to mention I will probably buy a new lens and rent a flash.

She wants me to take the pictures at her wedding, if I said no it would be an insult. I am merely asking for help here so I can try and do my best. :)

A wedding is not a good time to familiarize yourself with real life photography situations, and you ddon't have many days to practise

My wife and I work in the wedding industry (she is a florist and I do wedding cakes) and we have had lots of experience with weddings and the one thing that we know its, NO MATTER what the budget they still want it to be the BEST they can get in their price range. In my opinion just owning a DSLR doesn't mean you can be a good wedding photographer. I wish you luck if you do decide to do it and I agree with all the advice everybody has given and it will get you going in the right direction, BUT this is their most important day in their life and they are going to have these photos for the rest of their life. It is so important to know what to shoot because they will not get to see everything and the photos are going to really show them the whole wedding. Its not a problem that you have only shot in Auto mode but it is a problem if you want to shoot a wedding. I wouldn't even want a 2nd shooter that has only used auto mode. Yes i think the experience would be nice but your first wedding experience should be following a Pro Photographer and seeing how they shoot and interact with everybody. I do not think it would be an insult if you said told her the truth that you have NO experience shooting weddings and she needs to get a Pro.
Good luck to you if you do shoot the wedding I hope it goes really good for you and that they are really good images.

If you hire a flash and it is a bright day you can use program mode which works well on the Canon

That is the thing. I live in Arizona and it will be in a park and it will seriously be like 100 degrees, so they choose to say their vows are 7:30 pm, which is abut the time the sun goes down.

Most reactions

Back