Newbie Photographer

Hi everyone. I joined this forum a long time ago but fell off the face of the planet soon afterwards. My husband recently got interested in photography and wants to start up a business (we are not aiming to to run along side those who are award winning pros, but we do want to provide quality services for those who can not afford the high end photographers or are turned away for various discrimination issues. I'll also be providing illustration/graphic design services on the side) We both have a Nikon d3200 (figured we could share the cost of lenses this way.) and have done a few small shoots for various things. I've only had my camera for about a month so im still shooting in Auto just cause i work a full time job and havent had a lot of time to practice. (<-- ok excuses i know.)

Right now im working on acquiring some models for practice sake, and finding good tutorials. Id love to take an actual class as i kind of suck at self teaching myself... but despite the high amount of photographers in my area, there is no local store to go to get advice. theres a local club that i think i need to visit though. there is a course i found but they want about 260 bucks for the 4 classes. Im pretty sure i can find something else before jumping onto that. but i dont know.

I guess im not entirely sure what im asking for here. I guess just some general good adivce, good tutorial websites or youtube, and if your in the sw fl area any good recomendations for stores and stuff for photography stuff. (you know that isnt best buy. cause thats all i got to work with in the same town.)

I'm really new to photography, I picked up my D5300 in September, and since I knew that I didn't know how to "control" a camera, I went searching for information. I landed on a few YouTube sites but one that I really liked was with Tony Northrup. I purchased his ebook "Stunning Digital Photography" that really taught me how to control my camera. I've only shot in manual since I bought my first camera in September. I would suggest getting a copy of his ebook and it will teach you a ton.

WOW. so buying a camera and taking photos then charging people for it is not all there is to it?......

what would one need an attorney for?
why do we need a license?

Yup.

Why would we need a "business" plan?

Why on earth would we need to know anything about taxes?

I wasn't being sarcastic. Im actually grateful that I read this. I honestly thought you could just charge people and call it a business without licenses.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Im actually grateful that I read this. I honestly thought you could just charge people and call it a business without licenses.
Some municipalities require a business license. Call them.

The state (if applicable) and the fedgov will require taxes to be paid, and there are some options available depending on the type of business. Call them.

Smart business owners will obtain liability insurance. Call an agent.

Smart business owners will seek out the services of an attorney to set up certain portions of the business and to write contracts. Call one.

At the very lowest level yes.
'Gimme ten dollars, here's your print'-and-walk away kind of stuff.
But once you actually make commitments to do certain things and take money then you responsibilities and liabilities start.
If you commit to document a wedding, party, event and your work either doesn't get done or doesn't measure up, having a license (where necessary), a contract and insurance protects you from having your work and life wiped out by a single suit.
If you are shooting someone and they trip over a lighting cord, having a license (where necessary), a contract and insurance protects you from having your work and life wiped out by a single suit.
And so on.

Like it or not, when you take money or make a obligation to perform services, your life and 'stuff' are at risk.

Everybody here is trying to tell you in a nice way that being a pro and making money is difficult.

You are in the same position as tens of thousands of would-be photographers.
You have no knowledge, experience, skills or money to invest.
You have a single low-end camera body and probably will be looking at buying inexpensive lenses.
So, if you do get started and charge low prices, you will be competing against every other PWAC for the low end buck.
And you won't be producing quality work because the skills and experience needed to produce quality work take time to build.

And that's why good photographers charge high prices, because they have invested money and time to acquire knowledge, to get the equipment they need to do good work and have developed skills - the 'high prices' are to pay that back.

If you want to learn to be a photographer, start learning.
If your desire is to make money soon, honestly that's unrealistic starting from where you are.

I found some of the things you said to be a little harsh and not completely accurate in my opinion... I had a D3200 for many years, I would love to be able to throw money down every time a new DSLR came out but for the average family raising 3 children its just not possible so I made the best of what I had. I have looked through some of your photos and they are good but I have seen just as good from a D3200.... I have had to add a little of my editing skills to my photos from my D3200 but my clients and I were pleased with the final product :)

We both have a Nikon d3200 (figured we could share the cost of lenses this way.) and have done a few small shoots for various things. I've only had my camera for about a month so im still shooting in Auto just cause i work a full time job and havent had a lot of time to practice.

My husband recently got interested in photography and wants to start up a business (we are not aiming to to run along side those who are award winning pros, but we do want to provide quality services for those who can not afford the high end photographers or are turned away for various discrimination issues.

I responded to what you said.

I didn't say your photographs were bad - I have no idea what they are because you've never posted any - but with little experience and low level equipment, the range of quality services you can provide is very narrow - and there are thousands of people who have that same idea.

Most reactions

Back