Newbie question...

KellyH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm a semi-newbie. I have loved photography for years, and have had a few DSLR's. My current camera is a D40 with a kit lens. I also have a 10-22 EF-S lens that I like to play around with. I am in love with photography, but lack the specific knowledge needed (and the time needed to get that knowledge) to take the next step... until now. I have finally gotten to a point in my life where I can dedicate some time to a couple of really fun hobbies, and photography is one of them. I am looking to upgrade my camera, and would love to get the 5DII, but I feel it's a bit much for this novice... and well, it has a hefty price tag. I also like the 7D and have watched so many video reviews with head-to-head comparisons that I feel like the 7D would be a good move for me for a few reasons. I have also considered keeping my 40D and just getting better glass. I just got the Canon 50mm f1.4 and cannot wait to get it (tomorrow)! I have considered adding the L lens that comes with the 5DII to my current 40D at a later date. I have so many options, and just too little knowledge. Can anyone shed some light, or give me a more seasoned opinion? It would be much appreciated.

My photography tends to be a mix of everything. I do a lot of portrait type shots of my animals... I have friends with kids who play a lot of sports... I love landscape shots... nature shots... "trick" shots... just about everything interests me. I shoot a lot of low light conditions, but the 50mm should take care of that... looking forward to getting some advice!

TIA.

Welcome aboard.

The 40D is a good camera. It's a bit 'old' compared to the newest cameras, but it shouldn't be holding you back. Keeping that camera and spending money on good quality lenses, will most likely make a bigger difference to you, than upgrading the camera.

Also, keep in mind that if you upgrade to a full frame camera, like the 5D, then your EF-S lens won't be compatible. I had that lens, and I loved it, but when I went from a 20D, to a 5DII, I sold it and bought the 17-40mm F4 L.

As for what lens(s) you should look at...that's hard to say. Usually, you will have a good idea of what direction you want to go in. You don't mention a normal range zoom...do you have something like an 18-55mm or 28-135mm etc? If so, you may want to upgrade that range....if you don't, maybe that's something you'd want to add. How about a telephoto. My 70-200mm F2.8 L IS, is one of my most used lenses. Great for portraits, sports, events etc.

What about other accessories? Do you have a flash unit (the on-board flash isn't a great option). So maybe a 430EX or 580EX etc. How about a nice tripod?

Thank you Mike! I have also considered buying the 7D body only and adding a couple of nice lenses. I could get the 7D body, the 24-105mm L, AND the 50mm f1.4 for the same price as the D5II with the L lens. There are so many scenarios lol.... I do want a telephoto as well... I better pick up a PowerBall ticket on my way home from work.

I do appreciate your time and advice. I'll definitely keep it in mind when making decisions. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back