Newbie questions (Nikon D200)

LaLO929

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I am new at this and you guessed it...I have some questions. I recently got a new Nikon D200 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR. I read the manual this past week and I started to take some shots in RAW. I now have them loaded on my computer as NEF files. I initially wanted to load some pics on here to ask how to take some better shots because I am having issues with taking photos of my dogs running around outside. Then I thought I could try editing them a bit in Gimp but the files are very tiny in Gimp and they don't open in "My Documents/Pictures". How do I convert them to JPEGs? And if I do so, am I still able to edit them? I tried finding the answers in the manual but no luck. I know its frustrating when a newbie doesn't read the manual and asked 'dumb' questions.

***Regarding the questions about taking some shots of my dogs outside---I started taking some photos inside (portraits and such) and I thought it was going well. Then I went outside and I felt like it was a whole new ball game. And maybe my lens isn't sufficient enough for these type of photos. I don't know. It got me frustrated...

Anywhoo...thats why I am here...for some answers. I was all excited to post some pics too but now I am coming here because...yes...I admit it...I don't know what I am doing. :blushing: Hopefully you guys can help me.

Download Nikon View from Nikons website. It is a free NEF viewer, that you can use to make simple edits to your photos including changing them from raw format to an editable JPEG. Until then, I would suggest shooting in JPEG to save yourself the hassle.

As for your doggie issues - impossible to offer any real information without actually seing a photograph.

ViewNX? I have that downloaded already. I am converting them now.

Why is it that everyone says 'If you want to become a serious photographer then you should be taking photos in RAW' but now after I start taking them...I should shoot in normal mode?

Last edited:
Do what ANDS! said and i'm guessing the dog pictures have motion blur? Increase shutterspeed, which will most likley foce you to use higher ISO

ViewNX? I have that downloaded already. I am converting them now.

Why is it that everyone says 'If you want to become a serious photographer then you should be taking photos in RAW' but now after I start taking them...I should shoot in normal mode?

Because that is how folks new to photography (and old) position themselves to sound "authoritative" on the subject. It is 100% possible to shot in JPEG mode the majority of your photographic career; though there are of course benifits (and consequences) of having a RAW or JPEG only workflow. Once you get to a position where you begin to understand the benefits and consequences (as they relate to YOU - do not let someone else tell you what your workflow should be; you alone know what works and does not work) then you will understand how to (or how not to) integrate RAW shooting into your photographic life.

And yes, ViewNX is the freeware Nikon provides.

Everything you read says use RAW because that takes advantage of every bit of information the sensor can capture. You lose some of that with jpegs, but for learning purposes and ease of editing, jpegs are much easier.

If you get to the point of making really huge enlargements or selling for magazine publications, etc., you will want to learn to use RAW. RAW will also let you make many more corrections and tweaks, but again, it's easier to learn with jpegs.

I shoot with a D200 also, so I'll keep an eye out for more questions from you.

As for the shutter speed, I'd suggest reading up on everything you can get your hands on. The standard that I and everyone else loves is Underdstanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. The shutter speed to select all depends on how far zoomed you are and which direction the object you are trying to capture is traveling, among other things. Your shutter speed would have to be faster if the object was moving parallel to you as opposed to straight to you.

Thanks everyone! And yes, I have the book Understanding Exposure. I will be reading it very soon.

Most reactions

Back